Today in My History

2000: Gay Kids
2001:  (No entry--I was sick)
2002:  The Death of Trust
2003:  Finding My Inner Endorphin
2004:  You CAN take the City out of the Girl
2005 Dog Day Afternoon
2006:  Boundaries 
2007: "Cuzn" Day
2008: ENOUGH, Already!
2009:  Aces of Cakes
2010:  The Big Party
2011:  Communication Gap
2012: History in a Nutshell

2013: Creepy Bosses
I Mean...so...
2015: Sunday Stealing
2016: Me and the DMV, Part 2
Just Leave Me Alone!
2018: Creative Juices
2019: I love the internet
2020: Sunday Stealing

Theater Reviews
Updated 3/14/21

Books Read in 2021
 Updated 1/13
Murder on the Orpheum Circuit
by Jim Brochu

Personal Home Page

My family

Bev's 65 x 365

Books Read in 2021
Books Read in 2020

Books Read in 2019
Books Read in 2018

Books Read in 2017
Books Read in 2016
Books Read in 2015
Books Read in 2014
Books Read in 2013

Books Read in 2012
Books Read in 2011
Books Read in 2010

Cast (updated 7/16)

(you know how to fix it)

Some Background Links:
The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers
The story of Delicate Pooh
The story of the Piņata Group
Pumpkin pies
Who IS this Gilbert person anyway?

mail to Walt / mail to Bev  


29 March 2021

I got this ad on some web page I went to check today.  The mask is $10 + shipping.  Of course I'm tempted to buy it, but we are reaching a point where we don't need masks all that much and I have several,  two of which I have never worn and two of which haven't even arrived yet (they match my recently purchased VanGogh shirts).  So there is no reason to buy this mask, though if I had seen it a few months ago, I definitely would have!

Things seem to be slowly coming back to normal.  When we went to see my mother, as we were driving home, I looked out the window at the school that was near the freeway and saw lots of kids in the playground.  I'm so used to seeing empty parking lots, parks, playgrounds, etc. that it just seemed strange to see something looking so normal, tho Dr. Fauci warns that we must not consider this thing as waning, as it's still a problem.

I had an interesting experience last night.

I hate night.  After dinner Walt and I watch Jeopardy! and then he either watches a show with me at 8 p.m. or he goes upstairs and I watch TV for the rest of the evening.  Sometimes there are shows on the NBC-CBS-ABC stations that I watch, sometimes I watch something on Netflix.

Whatever I watch, the night ends with watching an episode of The Great American Baking Co. and then Colbert's monologue (rarely his interviews) and then I stagger into the living room and climb onto the couch.

Some nights I am able to get to sleep within 10 minutes, other nights I try and try and try and can't sleep and the more I worry about it, the more awake I become.

If I do sleep, I'm awake again in 3 hours.  I don't know why, but my body simply won't sleep longer than 3 hours at night.  If I'm exhausted and go to bed at 9, I'm awake at midnight.  Wide awake.  If I go to sleep at midnight, I'm awake a bit before 3.  Wide awake.

I try going back to sleep, but it doesn't work so I watch something on TV for a couple of hours.  I have a lot of Monk recorded so I'm making my way through those.

Around 5 or so, I am starting to yawn and I will head back into the living room and try going back to sleep.  Usually I can fall asleep and am up again in an hour.

This is my night.  Every night.  And it's not even bathroom needs that wake me up, because often I don't have to go to the bathroom.  It's just my brain deciding that's enough sleep.  I take a nap every afternoon.  Around 11:30 or noon, I turn on Criminal Minds on Netflix (because there are no commercials), turn the sound down low and within 5 minutes, I'm sound asleep and wake up just about exactly an hour later (sometimes it's 2 hours later).  I've tried doing this in the middle of the night, but it doesn't work then.  I get too involved in the story.

Anyway, I was talking about that at dinner and Marta asked if I would be interested in medicine or "herbs" to help with sleep. The one thing I do NOT want to do is rely on pills, so I wasn't interested in medicine (since I seem to be doing OK, but I just hate wandering around the house in the dark in the middle of the night!).  I asked her what herbs might help and she had a simple answer:  cannabis.

Now though I was born and raised in San Francisco and went through the college years in Berkeley, I have zero experience with marijuana.   The closest I came was when our nursery school had an event for all the parents and the leader of the school passed around a pipe for us to share.  I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do with it and just passed it along, without trying it.

Michelle Phillips offered me a drag when I was at a bridal shower for Walt's cousin's daughter, at her house, but I turned it down because I didn't know what to do with it.

A friend was staying here a few years ago.  He smokes marijuana for pain and I told him I was interested in trying it, so he let me take a drag of his cigarette, but I have never smoked a cigarette and didn't have a clue what to do with the marijuana, so I gave up. 

So I have never had any experience with it, but I know it's legal now and a friend of Ned & Marta's runs the local store in Davis, so I said that yes, I would be interested in trying cannabis to see if it helped.  Ned gave me this thing that looked like a flat gummy bear and told me to take it half an hour before I was going to sleep.  So I did.  For one thing, the flavor was delicious.

But I went in to the couch, laid down and was asleep very quickly.  I woke up in the middle of the night, as I always do, to change from sleeping on my right side to my left side and I would have gone back to sleep right away but ended up with one of the worst leg cramps I've had in a long time, which brought me wide awake.

I didn't have a clue what time it was but assumed it was 2 a.m., as it usually is when I feel like that. I tried going back to sleep, but the cramp had taken care of that.  I finally got up and was shocked to see that it was after 4 a.m.  I don't know exactly when I woke up or how long I'd been awake before I got up, but I had slept 1-2 hours longer than I ever do at night. I went to the recliner and turned on the TV.  It was about 6 a.m. when I fell back asleep again and woke up after 8.

I'd like to try cannabis again, but next time  have my phone with me so that I can check the time when I wake up.  Maybe I'm finding something that will actually give me a normal night of sleep.


Walt's brother-in-law let his beard grow until he could play golf again.


I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!  (Comments show up after I approve them)
Remember to sign your name in the "Name" box or else you will show up as "anonymous"
(unless you want to be anonymous, that is!)

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...


<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page


This is entry #7675