28 March 2021
Ack! I accidentally deleted a comment from
Songbird yesterday. I'm sorry! But I agree...we should!
1. How often do you make food and eat it?
Every day. Ned and I take turns cooking dinner. We all usually make
our own breakfast, but occasionally I will make something like banana bread or
pancakes. Once in a great while we will order something to pick up for
2. Do you consider toasting bread, preparing instant noodles,
or boiling an egg to be cooking? Why or why not?
Sure. You are taking some substance, adding a heat source to make it
edible. Isn't that cooking? It may not be fancy cooking, but still
3. What’s your favorite dish to make?
I enjoy making quiche. Not sure it's my favorite, but it's one thing I
4. Cooking or baking: what’s more fun? What’s more difficult?
Baking is definitely more fun. I like baking but don't do it much because I'm
usually the one who eats the things that I bake. It depends on what you
are baking or cooking which is more difficult.
5. Who did most of the cooking in your house when you were
My mother. My father made a meal now and then, but my mother did 99% of
the cooking, unless we got Chinese food or a pizza.
6. How have you learned the cooking skills that you have?
My mother was such a perfectionist, she never taught me how to cook. I
pretty much taught myself. When I was in college, I cooked dinner most
nights for the guys who lived in the house where Walt was living. I
learned a lot about cooking there (e.g., you can't thaw a turkey in a couple of
hours!) I cooked a lot of breast of lamb because it was 25 cents a pound
at that time.
7. Have you ever taken a cooking course? If so, what did you
learn? If not, would you like to do one? What would you like to learn?
I took two series of classes in Chinese cooking from Martin Yan, before he got
his television show. I was a pretty
good Chinese cook at one time. I also took cake decorating classes.
8. Have you tried cooking food from another culture? What did
you prepare? How was it?
I cook lots of international food. We eat a lot of Mexican, Italian and
Chinese. I cook Indian now and then, and other foods if I find a recipe
that looks interesting. I'm pretty much not afraid to try anything.
9. Is it cost-effective to do your own cooking? Can you save
money by cooking?
Oh definitely. When I think about ordering something from a restaurant and
look at the cost and realize that I could make that food for a fraction of the
cost, I just go home and make it.
10. Would you rather do the cooking or do the washing up
Definitely do the cooking. I am very lucky that Walt does the clean up
after dinner and Ned cleans up after me when I am in the middle of cooking!
I am a messy cook.
11. Do you use recipes to cook? If so, where do you get the
best recipes? Do you get them from friends, family, online, or from cookbooks?
I use a lot of recipes. I get ideas from TV, from the FoodNetwork magazine
and doing Google searches on the ingredients I have on hand. I used to
have a real cookbook library, but once I started using on-line recipes, I
donated most of my cookbooks to Logos Books.
12. Have you ever tried to prepare some food and just totally
ruined it? What happened?
Sure. I remember one time I was going to make dinner for my boss, whose
favorite food was hamburgers. I burned them so badly he had to go find food
13. Do you prefer cooking at home or eating out at a
I prefer eating out because I don't have to do any of the work, but we
don't do it often because of the cost.
14. Is cooking a social activity for you? Do you like to do it
with other people, or do your prefer to do it alone?
Pretty much I prefer to do it alone. Ned and I sometimes cook together,
but mostly we each cook alone.
15. Do you have a lot of cooking equipment? How often do you
use it all? Do you have any pieces of equipment that you rarely ever use?
Between Ned and Marta and me, we have a LOT of cooking equipment and we use most
of it often. The things that get used the least are the bread machine and
the deep fryer. The blender and the Instant Pot probably get used the most.