Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Easter Parade ("In Your Easter Bonnet") (1948)
Judy Garland is my favorite, so I loved this choice!
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
No. I haven't dressed up for Easter in a long time.
2) Judy Garland's partner in this movie was supposed to be Gene Kelly, but he was unavailable because he broke his ankle playing volleyball. Have you ever lost a big opportunity because of a medical issue?
I can't think of one. I almost had to give up my trip to Australia when I dislocated my shoulder in a bike accident, but as it turned out, I was still able to go.
3) Garland later confessed that, at first, she would have preferred Kelly because she knew him well and was intimidated by Fred Astaire. By the end of filming, she found she enjoyed Astaire a great deal. Can you think of a friend with whom you had a rocky relationship at the beginning?
Charlotte, my best friend for some 60 years, was the grad resident in a dorm complex where I moved when I started UC Berkeley. I thought she was mean and that she hated me. I tried to avoid her because I was kind of afraid of her. I got to know her later at the Newman Center and...the rest is history. I haven't been afraid of her since I hit her in the face with a pumpkin pie.
4) This song was inspired by New York City's Easter Parade. Does your community host a similar event?
I think so. This is a small city and when we first moved here, the Easter Parade had more people in it than watching it. I assume kids still march downtown, but we haven't attended since the kids got too old. (One year, Paul was the host for the local TV station coverage of the festivities after the parade)
5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you thinks it's possible to have too much chocolate?
Well, I think it's possible to eat too much chocolate, but to have too much chocolate...you never know when you're going to need some quickly, so....no.
6) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. A 2013 poll tells us that red is by far the favorite jelly bean color, with yellow a distant second. Do you have a preference?
We live near the Jelly Belly factory and so my experience with jelly beans are those highly flavorful jelly beans and I love pear flavor (it's kind of a light pastel green) and also popcorn flavor (sort of an ivory color).
7) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?
Neither, since I don't receive candy on either occasion, now that I don't have trick or treating kids.
8) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?
More than 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I get that much so seldom!
9) This year, April Fool's Day happens to coincide with Easter Sunday. Do you expect to fall victim to any pranks this weekend?