Today in My History
of the Mind
Books Read in 2017
Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
Some Background Links:
The story of Delicate Pooh
The story of the Piñata Group
Who IS this Gilbert person anyway?
20 August 2017
Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. You may have heard the expression, “honor among thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from, if possible. We also provide a link to the victim's questions in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from recently asked questions from a previously post. Cheers to all of us thieves!
There is a woman named "Wendy Weetabix" who wrote a blog called That's My Bix, but the last entry was from 2015. But she has been posting random questions for the past several months on Facebook. I went through and picked a few of them for us to answer this week.
1. What is a normal thing that took you an embarrassingly long time to learn?
That the word "Greenwich" is not pronounced green-witch (I grew up 2 blocks from Greenwich street and though I now know how to pronounce it, I still have trouble not saying Green-Witch.
2. In what ways are you old-fashioned?
I still cook dinner almost every night and only make "TV dinners" on nights when we have a show to review in Sacramento. Mostly I make things from scratch.
3. What is the best sandwich you've ever eaten? Where did you get it? What made it so delicious?
Wow. That's a toughie. Basically, I like plain sandwiches, and my favorite sandwich is maybe a cold roast lamb sandwich on white bread with Best Foods Mayonnaise. The French dip sandwiches at Brennan's pub in Berkeley were pretty good, I remember. If I can get fresh home-grown tomatoes, that taste like "real" tomatoes, I love sliced tomatoes on white bread with mayonnaise and just a tad of salt.
4. What are you currently not bragging about that you should totally brag about?
I guess that I've been a theater critic for 17 years and that people tell me all the time how much they like my reviews, but I still feel intimidated by the expertise and education of my colleagues.
5. What food have you never tasted and are most interested in trying?
Stone crabs. I've seen pictures and their limbs are so huge, they must be wonderful.
Also fried cheese curds.
6. What history facts were you surprised to learn because it was never covered in school?
How white men treated the Native Americans when they stole their land. Also never covered was the Japanese internment, maybe the blackest part of American history (until now), but we knew about it because one of our classmates was born in one of the camps.
7. What is something that you waited entirely too long to start or stop doing? What made you say "Why did I wait so long?"?
My life changed and I was a much happier camper when I decided that I didn't have to wear high heels. I was even happier when I realized nobody was going to faint if I wore Birkenstocks everywhere. Amazing how much your mood improves when your feet aren't hurting!
8. What socially expected thing do you hate doing the most? What thing about polite society really grinds your gears?
I hate being expected to make small talk. I also hate over-solicitous wait persons. There is an art to "being there" without hovering all the time and interrupting conversations with "is everything all right here?" every five minutes.
9. What is something about your city that I should know if I'm going to visit? What is the hidden "must see" that you always tell friends and visitors to not miss ?
The toad tunnel!!! The town spent about $15,000 to build a tunnel under a new freeway overpass so toads would not be killed trying to cross the freeway. The Post Master's father built a "town" by the tunnel for the toads to rest. To the best of my knowledge, no toad has ever been seen near either the town or the tunnel....or flattened on the overpass.
10. What do you miss most about childhood?
11. What "fact" did you learn in school that is not true or no longer
14. What's the title of this current chapter in your life?
15. What is a habit or practice that you learned from your childhood
that you didn't realize was "weird" until you were an adult?
PHOTO OF THE DAY
A girl and her long-term borrowed dog!
I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!
HTML Guestbookis loading comments...
This is entry #6755