Saturday 9: Wouldn't It Be Nice? (1966)
... because Nonnie recommended the Beach Boys
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In the video for this song, the Beach Boys dive into the pool with all their clothes on. Have you ever ended up in the water while fully clothed? If yes, were you pushed?
Oh yes. It was at a family reunion years and years ago. One of my cousins got drunk and started pushing everybody in the motel pool, all of us dressed. Even my then 80-something aunt was pushed in.
2) In this song, Mike Love sings he wishes "every kiss could be neverending." Where did you receive your first kiss? Was it wonderful, or awkward?
Well, I dated the guy for 3 years afterwards, so it
must have been wonderful at the time, but I have no memory of it.
3) Brian Wilson was the creative force behind the Beach Boys. It's possible that the group's legendary and unique sound came from an incident of bad parenting. Brian's father hit him so hard with a wooden plank that he is deaf in his right ear. Which of your senses is sharpest -- sight, hearing, smell or taste?
The older I get, the less keen my senses become.
I wear trifocals, I need hearing aids, my sense of taste has diminished
considerably and I have a difficult time smelling some things. I
guess the only sharp sense I have is a sense of humor.
4) Brian's brother Dennis was the cutest member of the group, and also the only one who could surf. Have you been to the beach yet this summer?
I haven't been to the beach since I was in Nice,
France scattering our friend's ashes in 2009.
5) Dennis was also the Beach Boys' most colorful member. In 1968, he struck up an unfortunate and dangerous friendship with Charles Manson. Is there anyone in your life that you worry has bad taste in friends/lovers?
Not that I can think of .
6) Lead singer Mike Love is the grumpiest Beach Boy. He refuses to perform if the concert promotional materials refer to the group or their songs as "oldies." Does it bother you to hear the songs, TV shows and movies of your youth described as "classics" or "oldies?"
Good heavens no. The oldies are more fun for me
than a lot of the current songs, TV shows and movies.
7) This song has appeared on soundtracks for movies as diverse as Shampoo (1975), The Big Chill (1983), 50 First Dates (2004) and It's Complicated (2009). Do you own any movie soundtracks?
Too many to count. In my youth, I bought just
about any soundtrack to a movie I liked (not in many years, now, though)
My soundtracks are so old they are on vinyl.
8) In 1966, the year this song was popular, the Miranda Warning became law. Without looking it up, can you recite any of the Miranda Warning?
Oh. You have the right to remain silent,
anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. you
have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford an attorney one will
be provided to you ... (thanks to all those cop shows)
9) Random question: The local college is pleading for models of all ages and sizes to pose for the life drawing class. Would you help the kids by volunteering to pose in the nude?
Bwahahaha. They are't THAT hard up for models!!!