Today in My History
Won't Be the Same
2001: We've Got Elegance
2002: Famous Friday Five
2004: Thank You, Ruth Bernhard
2005: Never Again
2006: Chaos Central
2008: Thirty-Eight Years Ago
2009: Locked in a Box
2010: 2:30 a.m.
2011: On Our
Books Read in 2012
"Cutting for Stone"
Most Recent on My
My 70th Year
Site for RSS Feed:
My Compassion Kids
The Pen Pal Project
(click on the link and join the fun)
2 April 2012
1. What was the last clothing item that you bought?
I don't usually buy clothing, but I did buy two t-shirt type shirts and a
button up blouse at a terrific sale through JMS (Just My Size) in the past month...the
three combined cost me about $20, I think.
2. If you could stay one age forever, what age would you choose?
Oh there is so much involved in that question. Would I be reliving the year
like Groundhog Day or just staying the same age while everyone else around me got
older? If I were to stay the same age, think of all the beautiful things that have
happened in my life would not have happened.
3. When you say lol, are you really laughing?
No. I'm smiling a little and if I'm ROFL, I may have actually giggled once.
4. What is the most interesting thing youve done in the past year?
Went to China. Walked The Great Wall. Now that was cool!
5. If you started a business, what would it be?
I started a cake decorating business once. It was successful for a couple of
years until a bakery opened up here in town (then I went to work for the bakery until they
could find a REAL cake decorator). I wouldn't do that now, though.
6. Do your friends/family/coworkers know about your blog?
Everybody knows about my blog.
7. How long does it take you to write an average blog post?
Probably 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer, but I'm a pretty fast
writer/composer. It takes longer to get it designed and uploaded, especially on the
first of the month, when I change the look.
8. How do you keep up with the blogs you follow?
I subscribe through Google Reader. It's the only way I could follow as
many blogs as I do. I'm always disappointed when a blog is password protected
because I usually forget to check it, then.
9. What is your bedtime? Is sex always involved?
After The Daily Show. Sometimes I might stay up an hour or so later.
As for sex, since I sleep in a chair with a chihuahua, that's a "no."
10. Introvert or extrovert?
Oh, definitely an introvert!!!
11. What is your biggest fear?
Being incapacitated and relying on someone else for everything, including getting to
12. What is the best job you ever had?
I was as private secretary to three different physics professors at UC Berkeley for
four years. I had my own office with a view of the campanile plaza. I
absolutely loved that job. By the time I left, one professor had retired and another
had moved to a different office, so I was private secretary for just one professor, who
was also my friend, and who remains my friend today, almost 50 years later.
13. Dog person/cat person/both/neither?
Dog person. I have nothing against cats, but we just aren't of the same
14. If you had $1,000 to spend any way you wanted, what would you do with it?
$1,000 isn't enough to do anything big and there is nothing I really want to buy so I
would probably divide it up among my Compassion kids. $100 each would make a big
temporary difference for their families.
15. How do you "dress" your toast?
I slather on the butter. Occasionally jam, but I don't usually have jam in the
16. How do you feel about snow?
It's pretty to look at. I've never lived in snow, so I've never had to deal
17. What was the worst job you ever had?
Washing test tube and specimen tubes in a medical laboratory. I didn't mind the
bloody ones as much as I minded the poopy ones.
18. What song can you not stop listening to?
"For Good," from Wicked (and glad I get to review that show in a
couple of months)
19. Love your name or hate it?
It has never felt like who I am. My parents were going to name me Barbara after
my aunt, but decided it would be confusing to have two Barbaras in the family, so they
named me Beverly, for her middle name. Ironically throughout my life everybody
who forgets my name calls me Barbara instead. I almost feel more like a Barbara then
I do like a Bev.
20. How did you choose your blog/twitter handle?
Easy. It's my name: basykes