... the journal

The Guest
Refrigerator Door

Yikes!!!  This is the last magnet!

I'm going to have to take pix of the new magnets for my fridge for tomorrow...and then find a new idea for this spot!!

ST-wake.jpg (9233 bytes)


0062507249.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg (4762 bytes)

Becoming a Man:
Half a Life Story

Paul Monette

My Amazon wish list


Star Trek Weakest Link
Carol Burnett Special
David Letterman

powered by SignMyGuestbook.com

That's it for today!



27 November 2001

Well, I took another blood pressure today and was happy to tell the patient that she wasn't dead. In fact, I read her blood pressure closer than she thought it would be. I got a 70 for the diastolic, she said it usually runs closer to 80, and Dr. G redid it and said he got 68. My eyes just aren't that fast yet to be able to get the variations between 65 and 70 or 70 and 80. But pretty darn good for a newbie, I thought.

This was the busiest day we've had since I started this job. A full complement of patients, with every slot filled, and Dr. G even running a bit late. I was busy trying to keep up with getting all the charts put together accurately, and scheduling and regarding-scheduling patients for both today and later days this month. It gave me hope that this business might actually make it after all.

I was also busy trying to keep up with the physical exams--help with Pap smears, clean up the exam area between patients (remove paper from the table, toss the gown in the laundry, remove the condom from the ultrasound probe, and get the Pap smear into the sample bag for the lab).

When I wasn't dealing with patients, I was fighting with the $%@$% copy machine. Dr. G has a copy machine which is left over from the Civil War. It limps along from day to day, but I killed it the other day.

It was as the result of that infamous "physician handwriting." Dr. G had left his resume on my desk with a note to make 3 copies of it for him (it's 6 pages long). However, because I haven't yet become good at reading his handwriting (generally, I'm quite adept at reading illegible handwriting), I read the "3" as "30" and ran off 30 copies of the resume, 180 pages. He was shocked when he saw this huge stack of resumes. Not only was it a waste of paper, but within 2 days, I couldn't copy anything because the toner cartridge was empty.

Normally that's no problem. Just run down to the local Office Max and pick up a new cartridge. Only Office Max doesn't carry Civil War era toner cartridges and suggested I call Fry's in Sacramento.

Do you know Fry's has no listed phone number? I'm sure someo ne will tell me why, but I was unable to call them and wasn't really eager to drive all the way to Sacramento only to discover they didn't have the cartridge either.

But I managed to find a Toshiba web site which not only had the toner cartridge, but also had it for cheaper than I'd been able to find it anywhere else. Yippee. We were in business! I ordered the cartridge on my credit card

The problem was that once I got the cartridge ordered, they let me know it was back ordered and we'd have to wait. Sigh. Too late to cancel, too expensive to buy another one, even if I could find one locally, so I have been running back and forth to the insurance company next door to copy things that won't go through our fax-copier (such as insurance cards made of hard plastic). At least I'm getting to know my neighbors, even if I am being a pain in the neck.

But the toner cartridge finally arrived and I proudly carried it to the office this morning, eager to surprise Dr. G by having a working copy machine again.

The machine is so old, the instructions have long since disappeared, and the toner cartridge says "refer to your manual for installation directions." But it didn't appear too terribly difficult. The instructions are printed on the inside of the door to the cartridge anyway. The problem is that they are only in pictures, with no words whatsoever.  And the pictures aren't all that clear--at least not to this idiot.

Well, I played with that @%$#@%$ thing for half an hour. My fingers, the wall and the sink got good and black, I spilled carbon on the rug, and uttered a lot of words that I probably wouldn't have said if there had been anybody else in the building with me.

But the upshot was that at the end of the day we still had no working copier, only now we have a non-working copier with a full toner cartridge.

Somehow during my five year hiatus from the work world, I seem to have lost the "Little Miss Fix-it" gene, though perhaps the problem was that this machine is on a shelf which is at my eye height and since I've lost the ability to do high-kicks, I can't use my normal "fix it" method ... give it a swift kick and see if that won't get it started again.

I wish I could find life in the copier, the way I found life in the patient today.

One Year Ago:

(Club Photo has started deleting
photo albums after 90 days,
so the photos which were once there,
have been removed now)

previous | Journal home | bio | cast | archive | next
Bev's Home Page

Created 11/27 /01 by Bev Sykes