11 June 2022
to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9
questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other
times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random
questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and
leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate
rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!
Saturday 9: Let Me Love You Tonight (1980)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it
1) Pure Prairie League was a country rock band signed by Casablanca Records
in 1980. The label, known for disco hits, wanted to expand their client roster
in case disco died. (Which it did, and Casablanca ultimately went bankrupt.)
Disco can be a polarizing topic among music fans. Do you love it or loathe it?
Neither. I don't mind it, but I don't love it. I probably like it
more than I dislike it.
2) In this song, lead singer Vince Gill encourages his girl to hold him
tight. Who did you most recently hug?
3) Vince Gill left The Pure Prairie League in 1982 and went on to be a solo
success. Tell us about a job you were glad you left.
I worked for an attorney here in town. It was a small office with four
regular secretaries and I was an on-call typist. He was so intense on
"work" that when someone returned from a vacation, he treated everyone to lunch
so they could talk about the vacation at lunch and not talk about it during the
work day. The last day I worked for him, he called me to his house and
asked me to go in and work the next day, because he was going to be in court.
He wanted me to make note of who talked conversationally rather than just work
so he could punish the conversationalist. I told him I refused to do that
and that I thought it was a terrible thing to do. When I quit the job, I
felt like I had just been released from prison.
4) He says his favorite song is the country classic, "He Stopped Loving Her
Today." Do you often listen to country?
I don't much listen to music. I don't mind listening to country, but I'd
rather listen to my CDs or classical music on the radio.
5) Vince joined The Eagles on tour after the 2016 death of Glenn Frey, taking
over Frey's guitar solos. Do you have a favorite Eagles song?
I have never heard of the Eagles.
6) Vince met future wife, singer Amy Grant, when she performed on his
Christmas TV special. Have you ever had a workplace romance?
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, The Love Boat was a hit. Have
you ever taken a cruise? If yes, where did you go?
We've been on several river cruises, up the Thames from London to Oxford, to
Russia, Ukraine-Istanbul, China, several countries in Europe, and a
Mediterranean ocean cruise.
8) 1980 also gave us the Post-It Note. What did you most recently write on a
It's been such a long time, I have no idea.
9) Random question: You find yourself one of three strangers trapped in an
elevator. Would you rather the other two people be a man and a woman, two men,
or two women?
Probably a man and a woman.