24 July 2022
Hi! Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT:
The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the
blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most
interesting and intelligent questions. (Past hosts include: Our first - Judd
Corizan, Mr. L, Kwizgiver and Bud) Cheers to all of us thieves!
1. What's something you've recently accomplished solo
I made an apple pie.
2. What's one product you use that never ever fails?
It would have to be foods -- Best Food mayonnaise, Peet's French Roast coffee,
and Skippy peanut butter
3. Have you found your place in the world? Where is it?
When I was growing up, never did I dream I would be happy as a suburban
housewife, but I am.
4. Worst movie you ever saw?
When Peggy was here, we went to see Dr. T and the Women, where Richard
Gere plays an obstetrician. Having worked in an obstetrician's office for
12 years, I figured I would enjoy it. It was terrible. So
completely unlike how an obstetrics office would be run. We both hated it
and left after 20 minutes or so.
5. What's the last fun thing you did?
Strangely it was my mother's memorial. She had been dead 4 months, so the
grief had subsided...and she died of Alzheimers anyway and hadn't been "herself"
in a few years. We had not been to any gathering in a long time because of
COVID and it was nice to see so many people, and especially nice that Jeri flew
out from Boston and Tom brought the grandkids up from Santa Barbara.
6. What's your favorite Italian dish?
Veal parmesan...but I never order it any more because of all the calves killed
to make it.
7. Have you ever been to France? Any desire to visit there, and if so what
would site or city would you most want to see?
I've been to France twice. I wanted to love Paris, and I didn't, but I
loved the south of France and would like to go back again and spend time around
8. Have you ever been to Disney, any of the parks at all? Are you a Disney
superfan or something less than that? They're open right now so tell us, would
you go if you had the time/money/a free trip?
No. I would not. We have been to the original Disneyland many times,
with each of our kids and with most of our foreign visitors and I'm tired of it.
These days it's entirely too expensive. We took the jazz choir from the
high school there to perform for two years. They had to pay full price to
get into the park and could not go out into the park until after lunch, when
they performed. I was very upset by that.
9. Your favorite place to go when you want to be quiet as a church mouse?
Would those who know you well describe you as more church mouse or perhaps more
like mighty mouse?
Maybe not a church mouse, but definitely a quiet mouse. This room
(my office) is pretty quiet.
10. Do you bake your own bread? Last time you had hot out-of-the-oven
homemade bread? What's your favorite kind of bread?
I haven't baked bread in awhile, but I used to bake all of our bread. I
like plain ol' white bread but I can't remember the last time I made any.
I used to make all kinds of bread, using all kinds of flours and fillings.
11. What's something you might say is 'the greatest thing since sliced bread'?
Frozen puff pastry
12. Share with us five little things you're grateful for today. Small
blessings. One catch-they all must start with the letter T.
- trees (especially our apple tree)
- toast with butter
13. Tell us where you were and something about what life was like when you
were 20- 21.
I was living in an apartment in Berkeley and working for the Physics Department
at UC Berkeley. The Free Speech movement was going on at that time and my
boss was on the faculty committee. Mario Savio was the head of the Free
Speech movement and all the newspapers had him listed as the most dangerous man
in America. I'm not sure what he needed to do, but one of my bosses gave
me the key to one of the physics labs to give to him. He was very polite.
14. What's on the menu at your house this week?
I am no longer in charge of the menu in the house, so I'm surprised and very
grateful every night when Ned calls me to dinner.
15. Something you recently purchased where a coupon was involved? Do you
regularly shop with coupons?
I pretty much have never used coupons and I can't remember the last time I did.