16 July 2022
to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9
questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other
times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random
questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and
leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate
rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!
Saturday 9: Brandy (1972)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it
1) This song opens in a bar where lonely sailors
reminisce about their homes. How long have you lived at your current residence?
Does it feel like home?
As of next month, we will have lived in this house for 49 years, so yeah, it
does feel like home (though it took me several years to feel like that)
2) Brandy is a waitress at the bar. Have you ever worked at a job where you
3) Brandy wears a locket on a braided chain. Are you wearing any jewelry as
you answer these 9 questions?
4) According to the lyrics, the sailors seem to prefer whisky or wine. What's
your go-to adult beverage?
I drink very few alcoholic beverages, but will occasionally have a glass of
white wine or, if we are in a bar (rarely), I'll order a gin and tonic.
Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy, I'll have a rum drink with an umbrella in it.
5) This song was such a big hit that, after its release, Brandy became a
popular name for newborn girls. Do you know anyone named Brandy?
No, except the stripper at a birthday party for our friend's 50th birthday
(she was Brandi, not Brandy)
6) Barry Manilow scored a hit in 1974 with "Mandy." That song was initially
called "Brandy," but it was changed to avoid confusion with this record. Do you
have a favorite Barry Manilow song?
"Copacabana." It became a special song because Ned lived in Rio de Janeiro
for a year, a couple of blocks from Copacabana beach, when he was 14.
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, residents of South Dakota endured a
catastrophic flood when Rapid Creek overflowed. Give us a little geography
lesson: what body of water is nearest you?
The Sacramento River.
8) Also in 1972, the first women were permitted to run in the Boston
marathon. Have you ever visited Boston?
Our daughter has lived in Boston for nearly 20 years, so we have been there
9) Random summertime question: Would you prefer
to swim in a pool, a lake/river, or the ocean?
Pool, but it's been many years since I was swimming anywhere. Last time
was in a pool in Italy in 2009.