Today in My History

2000:  O and Fry's
2001:  Patriotism Is Not Enough
2002:  A Moving Experience
2003:  Perfect
2004:  Goths, Visagoths and Vandals
2005:  Bitch Hunt
2006:   A Food Meme

2007:  ...and the Emmy Goes to...
2008:  Everybody Has a Job
  Bring Back My Puppies!
2010:  A Boring "How I Spent My Day" Entry
2011:  Good Mail Day
2012: Day of Rest
2013: I Wasn't Ready

2014: Welcome to Davis
2015: Unanswered Questions
2016: Saturday 9
2017:  Sunday Stealing
2018: Nothing Days
2019: How the day Went
2020: I'm Not So Weird After All

Books Read in 2021
 Updated 9/06
"Bonnie's Boy" by
F.E. Rechnitzer

My family

Bev's 65 x 365

Books Read in 2021
Books Read in 2020

Books Read in 2019
Books Read in 2018

Books Read in 2017
Books Read in 2015
Books Read in 2014
Books Read in 2013

Books Read in 2012
Books Read in 2011
Books Read in 2010

Cast (updated 7/16)

(you know how to fix it)

Some Background Links:
The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers
The story of Delicate Pooh
The story of the Piņata Group
Pumpkin pies
Who IS this Gilbert person anyway?

mail to Walt / mail to Bev  s


17 September 2021

I  remember my first La Leche League meeting.  I don't remember if I was pregnant or not, but I went with a friend and came home to Walt, laughing, about all the women nursing in unison.  It was not an organization in which I had any interest.

But then I got pregnant.  And I was nursing the baby and somehow "nursing in unison" and talking about the good and bad of breastfeeding didn't seem quite so silly any more. 

I got so involved with La Leche League that I became a leader and, when we moved to Davis, I started the group here, which is still going today.  It's where I first made friends with Kathleen, with whom I have lunch every month.  There were several incidents of my years with LLL.

By the time Tom was born, I had been involved with LLL for several years.  I had the counseling telephone in our house and I had found a great obstetrician who was very supportive of La Leche's attempts to help mothers with breastfeeding and to meet with hospital personnel to help them be more supportive of breastfeeding mothers.  (We were laughed out of more than one hospital and it is a wonderful thing to see how things have changed in the past 40 years with respect to hospitals supporting mothers who want to breastfeed their babies!)

As I was getting ready to take our newborn son home, my obstetrician stopped by.  I was flattered that he would make a special trip to see me, but actually he wanted to ask for my help.  It seemed that a baby was born about the same time as Tom.  This baby was born with a special problem and could not tolerate baby formula.  His mother didn't want to breastfeed and the doctor was wondering if I would be willing to pump extra milk for Tommy and if I could also find some La Leche mothers to donate milk.

Naturally, I said yes.

And so I went home with my new baby and one of the hand-operated breast pumps, which look like a bicycle horn (I don't know if they even sell them these days).  I would nurse Tom on one side and pump milk for Tommy on the other.  Several other mothers were doing the same thing.

Tommy's mother would make the rounds of the homes of all the women who were donating the milk that was saving her son's life and take the donations to the hospital each day.

In truth, I didn't like Tommy's mother so much in the beginning.  She was a career type, with the perfect hairdo, the perfectly manicured nails, the perfectly coordinated clothes.  I would schlep to the door with a baby slung over my arm and a burp cloth over my shoulder and hand her my own breastmilk so she could keep her figure and didn't have to bother nursing her baby.

Well, it turned out that Tommy had a more serious problem than anybody realized.  He had what they called a "malabsorption syndrome," and not only was he allergic to formula, but he also could not handle breast milk either. 

A lot of the details have blurred over the past 50 years, but I remember that he was transferred from Kaiser hospital to Stanford hospital, where he lived most of his short life.  They could never get him to gain weight.  He could maintain his weight (mostly) on a formula of (if I remember this right), breastmilk, corn oil and something else.  I don't remember what the other thing was.  I know that it took a long time before they came up with that concoction.     

As our own Tom got older and I became pregnant with David, I stopped donating milk, but after David was born, I volunteered to donate milk yet again.  Talk about your dairy.  Tom was still nursing and sibling rivalry caused him to go back to a newborn schedule, so I was essentially nursing twins and continuing to pump milk for Tommy.

Of course I am surrounded by scrapbooks, but I can't find the photo that Tommy's mother sent me at some point.  It was taken at a time when Tommy was doing better than most of the time.  But I don't think that in his nearly-two years, he ever got bigger than 7 lbs.

When David was a 10 lb newborn, Tommy's mother brought her son to visit us.  It was the weirdest experience ever.  David was easily twice Tommy's size, yet Tommy played with toys and would wave at me.  When they left, I walked them out to the house and later our neighbor commented on the obvious difference between our healthy son and "the preemie" that had just come to visit us.  She was shocked to learn that "the preemie" was actually two years old.

I still remember the phone call that I received from Tommy's grandmother letting me know that he had not survived his latest crisis.  In a way, I almost felt like I was losing one of my own children and, in fact, I sort of was.  I had helped keep this child alive for as long as he lived.

(Tommy is the reason why our son was always called either "Tom" or "Thomas," and never "Tommy.")

The good part of the story was that Tommy's mother went on to have two more healthy children--and she, herself, breastfed both of them.

Those were interesting years, those La Leche League years.  It was especially interesting having the counseling phone in my house.  I remember one very angry fight between a father and a mother, each on his or her own telephone, yelling at each other with me, the stranger, trying to coordinate and calm things down.  (The father felt the mother's breasts belonged to him and he didn't like his newborn son sucking on them.)

The winner, though, was a woman I probably feel more kindly towards in the cold light of day and with the passage of many years between the incident and today.  She was an older first time mother, and a single mother to boot.  She was one of those overly nervous mothers who worried about every single breath that her baby took, and she called frequently for reassurance, which I tried to provide, including visits to her apartment to make sure the baby was doing all right.

But the killer night was when my telephone rang at 3 a.m.  Unless someone is dying, you don't call a new mother at 3 a.m.   But it was this single mother, frantic, and wondering if her baby was fussy because she had eaten rutabagas for dinner the night before.

Since that night I have never thought of rutabagas without thinking of this mother.  I probably told her something inane like "maybe" and suggesting that if she ate them again and if the baby was fussy again, maybe she should stop eating rutabagas for a few months.

Her baby would be in his late 40s or possibly in his 50s by now.  I wonder how he turned out.  And if he likes rutabagas or not.



Lacie and her grandmother's dog


I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!  (Comments show up after I approve them)
Remember to sign your name in the "Name" box or else you will show up as "anonymous"
(unless you want to be anonymous, that is!)

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...


<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #7846