6 November 2021
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post
9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other
times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random
questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and
leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate
rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: All I Have to Do Is Dream (1958)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it
1) Did you dream last night?
I've been dreaming more in the last few months than I have in years, but I
didn't dream anything last night.
2) In this song, The Everly Brothers dream of kissing "lips of wine." Do you
prefer red or white wine?
I'm no longer a big wine drinker, but I prefer white to red wine, unless
it's a flavorful Cabernet.
3) In 1975, Rolling Stone ranked Phil and Don #1 on their list of the
greatest duos of all time. Name another musical twosome.
Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, Sandler and Young, the Carpenters, Roseanne Carter and Johnny
Cash, and these guys
4) Mike Love has acknowledged the influence The Everly
Brothers had on The Beach Boys' harmonies. What's your favorite Beach Boys song?
5) The pressure of touring took its toll on the Everly Brothers' personal
relationship, and those stresses spilled onto the stage. They once had a fight
in front their audience that ended with Phil smashing his guitar and storming
off. Have you ever busted something in anger?
I don't think so.
6) One of Don's friends was author/storyteller Garrison Keillor and that's
how the Everly Brothers came to perform on Keillor's radio program, A Prairie
Home Companion. Do you often listen to the radio or to podcasts?
Not as much now as I used to. I loved A Prairie Home Companion when
Keillor was hosting. Now the only radio show I listen to regularly is the
one my son records
to be played on Tuesdays.
7) The brothers chose to live in different cities and held opposite views on
politics. Don said, "Everything is different about us, except when we sing." Do
you have siblings? If so, are you more alike or different?
I had a sister who was 4-1/2 years younger than I. She died in 1971, but
we were completely different from each other and were never close.
8) In 1958, the year this song was a hit, Americans were doing the Cuban
dance, the cha-cha-cha. Do you ever dance or sing when you're home alone?
No. Never. I'm lucky if I can hobble to the kitchen.
9) Random question -- Do you believe we each get one true love?
I think some may get one or more true love, some only get one and some don't get
a true love at all.