29 May 2021
to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9
questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other
times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random
questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and
leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate
rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: If You're Reading This (2007)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American
service people who died in battle.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War
memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and
flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your
Yes, there is a small war memorial in a corner of our cemetery. There
is also a marker on the Veterans Memorial Theater (which is where our kids spent
most of their lives, growing up)
2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served --
veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your
family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.
My father was 4F, but two uncles were in WWII.
One was a prisoner of war
3) Similarly, we're grateful to those who served on the front lines during the
Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a
first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too!
I don't know anybody.
4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you
packed away your winter clothes yet?
I don't have seasonal clothes. Pretty much wear the same stuff year
5) What's your favorite picnic food?
It used to be my father's potato salad, but haven't had that since he died
in 1987. I guess now it would be stuffed eggs.
6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling
We have air conditioning and I have a little fan next to my desk.
7) This week's song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter
from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his
death. What's the saddest song you have ever heard?
"In the Arms of the Angel"
(The video is from my son's memorial service, sung by his wife and Ned's
8) This week's featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of
Fame. It's near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could
have lunch with one of those luminaries -- Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie
Andrews -- which would you choose?
Julie Andrews. Definitely not William Shatner!!! (Love Captain
Kirk, but I suspect the actor is a real pain in the ass)
9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase?
I bought a copy of the book, "Quality of Care" by Elizabeth Letts. I
just finished her about to be published book,
"The Ride of her Life"
and wanted to read another book by the same author. I think it's a wise