18 April 2021
Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published
on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types
of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we
will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. (Past
hosts include: Our first - Judd Corizan, Mr. L, Kwizgiver and Bud) Cheers to all
of us thieves!
1. The best story your parents or grandparents tell about the
good ole days.
My mother is the only one who talks about the good ole days, but her stories of
life on a ranch during the depression are great -- her sister (one of the first
women to get a pilot's license in California) flying over and tossing out the
newspaper because there was nowhere to land, her mother trying to learn
(unsuccessfully) to drive a car, my mother cutting out figures from a catalog to
use as paper dolls, etc. Lots of fun stories.
2. The best things in life are...
I'm trying to think of something more clever than "free" but "free" seems to be
it. The best thing in my life is family.
3, Things that drive me batty
* All those ads that run on the bottom of TV shows and cover up important
things in the show you are watching.
* robo calls
* Republican politicians
4. A place I'd like to live and why
I wouldn't mind living in London. I've been there often enough to feel
at home there. I'd also love trying to live in Ireland. It felt like
"home" the first time we visited.
5. The best thing I've ever found
Well, this month it's definitely this:
6. The best thing that happened recently is
Biden was elected president.
7. I admire people who...
Go out of their way to help others, whether humans or animal.
8. What makes me special
I am spectacularly ordinary.
9. I am looking forward to...
*The return of live theater.
* The release of Diana Gabaldon's new book, in November
* My mother's 102nd birthday
10. Things that scare me
* Big trucks on the freeway
* being unable to care for myself
* public speaking
* the death of another child
11. Complaints I have
* Intelligent people who believe the coronavirus is a hoax
* You can't buy roses in a florist shop that smell like roses
* How the internet has changed. You used to be able to find someone's
phone number by typing in their name. Now you have to pay for a service to
give you all their information, including their police reports.
* The New York Times, The New Yorker and the Boston Globe send me intriguing
headlines every day, but you can only read the articles if you subscribe.
* So many TV programs are now on "plus" stations
* Commercials for all those "plus" stations
12. I could never live without...
13. Things that make me laugh
The squirrels! Now that we have 3 of them on the patio,
it's such fun to watch them.
14. What is a new skill that you would like to learn?
I would like to be fluent in another language, French, Portuguese or Spanish.
15. What brightened your day today?
Ned put out a new squash today and it brought all 3 of the babies AND their
mother to the patio.
And by the way, today is the 115th anniversary of the 1906 San
Francisco earthquake and fire. THAT would have been a great story to hear
from my grandparents, who both lived through it, but neither of them ever