Today in My History
2000: Light Just
One Little Candle
Sex and Tim Tams
The Glass Man Cometh
I'm Too Sensitive
Yan Yuhuan Gets Drunk
Mabel Finds a Home
Can't Even Imagine
Loss and Disappointment
See Your Impact
Rearing Its Ugly Head Again
She'll Be the Death of Me
Today at Logos
we go again
Books Read in 2018
"A Star Is Born--
Judy Garland and the film
that got away"
Personal Home Page
Books Read in 2018
Books Read in 2017
Books Read in 2016
Books Read in 2015
Books Read in 2014
Books Read in 2013
Books Read in 2012
Books Read in 2011
Books Read in 2010
(you know how to fix it)
Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
Some Background Links:
The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers
The story of Delicate Pooh
The story of the Piñata Group
Who IS this Gilbert person anyway?
Favorite Travel Photos
Things in My Life
7 Days of Meals
Favorite Photos 4/18
Show Us Your Town
mail to Walt
mail to Bev
7 October 2018
1. Have you ever tried to learn (or
re-learn) a foreign language as an adult? Which one? What worked for you?
I was pretty good in French in high school and kind of learned very basic
Portuguese by osmosis, having Brasilians living in our house for a long
time. I seem to have an ear for languages, though I am only proficient
in English now. I still know a smattering of French and Portuguese,
but could no longer carry on a simple conversation.
2. Do you donate blood? Do you know your blood type?
I'm taking a break from blood donation because my veins rebelled, but I
regularly donated for many years. And yes, I know my blood type.
3. Have you ever been in a play or musical?
Only one play, my senior year in high school. I was the romantic lead.
4. Do you use certain text or ring tones for specific people? Who gets
their own? Or do you just use the default on your phone?
I used to be able to do that, but can't seem to do it any more. I do
have a specific ring tone for Walt and for Ned, but that's all...can't seem
to get the right one for Jeri. And I can no longer make ring
tones so no more Cal fight song for Char.
5. When did you get your first digital camera? Do you still shoot on
actual film, or all digital now?
It was a gift in 2000. I haven't shot actual film since.
6. What do you think someone else would say the most daring thing you’ve
I'm not very daring. It would have been leaving home and
joining the convent in 1960 but I chickened out.
7. Do you talk with your hands?
A little bit, but not a lot.
8. Given the choice in a restaurant – would you go with a booth or table
(or bar!!!) for seating?
My preference is a booth, but these days with my mobility problems, it is
very difficult to get out of a booth, so I choose a table. Never the
9. What kind of milk did you drink, growing up? And now?
I was put on my first diet at age 10 and had to drink skim milk. Ever
since then, regular whole milk is too rich. Now I only drink milk with
10. How do you keep track of all your passwords? Do you make your
passwords super complicated and change them often, or use the same ones over
I have a written list but it's coded. If I tell you my password is Mt6
you would have no way to know that it's a 15 letter word. I use
basically the same half dozen ones, rotated occasionally.
11. Are you a note taker?
I have never been a note taker. If I take notes I can never figure
them out later. This is one of the drawbacks to being a critic.
I tried to take notes (in the dark) but could never read them later.
12. Do you remember what your first social media posting (or status
update) was on Facebook or Twitter – without looking it up? What was it?
It was on FB, but so long ago I have no idea what it was. At the time
it seemed I was the oldest person on FB. I am no longer the oldest.
13. Do you have a “power” song?
14. Do you have an eclectic mug collection, or is your stuff all matchy
I have an eclectic collection of ceramic mugs that I have been given over
the years, though I only drink out of a stainless steel mug from Peet's that
keeps my coffee hot.
15. Do you have a junk drawer in your house/garage/at work/wherever?
Pretty much every drawer is a junk drawer, though only one is officially
called "the drawer".
16. Do you ever get the urge to watch a favorite scene from a movie, and
watch just that scene?
Oh yes, definitely.
17. Have you ever woken up and felt guilty from a dream you had, or, mad
at someone else for something they did in the dream?
No guilty. Sad, maybe.
18. How old were you when you took your first commercial flight? To where
did you fly?
I was probably 14. I had won 5th prize in a writing competition, which
was a one-way cruise to Los Angeles (from San Francisco). My mother,
sister, and I went and spent a day touring Disneyland (about 2 years after
it opened) and then flew home on Southwest Airlines. I think the
tickets were $20.
19. Are you good at keeping track of your things – or do you easily
misplace them? Do you ever leave anything behind when you travel?
I'm pretty good about taking everything with me when I travel, though
occasionally forget. As far as keeping track of my things....uh...no.
I can lose the remote to the TV when it's sitting right on my chest under my
20. Is there any place you go where time seems to stand still? What is it
about that place that makes it that way?
No matter where I go, time seems to fly by, especially places that I enjoy