Today in My History

2000: How done is "done"?
2001: Did you Hear?
2002: 7 Old Ladies Locked in the Lavatory
2003: Roo the Day
2004: Saturday in the Park with Sheila
2005: I Have the Answer
2006:  Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjack

Jello and Pancakes

2008: Stroll-o-Chair
Growing Up in the 50s
2010: Mingling
2011: Sunday Stealing
2012: A New Chapter
2013: Topkapi Palace

2014: Today at Logos
2015: Birthing Center Smell
2016: Another Thought on 9/11

Bitter Hack
Updated 8/19
"Sister Act"

Books Read in 2017
 Updated 8/27
"I Know a Secret"

Personal Home Page

My family

Books Read in 2017
Books Read in 2016
Books Read in 2015
Books Read in 2014
Books Read in 2013

Books Read in 2012
Books Read in 2011
Books Read in 2010


updated 7/16

(you know how to fix it)

Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
Airy Persiflage

Some Background Links:
The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers
The story of Delicate Pooh
The story of the Piņata Group
Who IS this Gilbert person anyway?

Swap Bot: 
My Day
Favorite Travel Photos
Things in My Life
Pocket Letters
7 Days of Meals

mail to Walt / mail to Bev  


12 Sept 2017

This was a weird day, made weirder by the workings of my un-fevered brain.  Here's how the day went.

I was happy to note that I felt close to normal when I woke up.  I had not yet written Funny the World, so the first thing I did, after feeding the dogs, was to write the journal entry.

Next was to get the Patience review written for the Sacramento paper.  The paper has very specific regulations for how things are done, how to format various parts of the review for what kind of review it is (Stage A is 225-275 words with a photo, Stage B is 200-250 words without a photo. Stage Pick is 75-100 words, with a photo)

I don't have all this in memory because I have a handy cheat sheet I pull up whenever I start a review.

Only the cheat sheet is on the F drive, which doesn't work!  Ahhh...but I also was smart two weeks ago copied all that stuff over to a flash drive.  I took out my box of flash drives and there are seven flash drives, including one shaped like an elephant, but not the pretty blue new flash drive. 

How could I have lost it!  I searched everywhere, under every pile, and it was just nowhere.  So I emailed the newspaper editor and asked her if she could send me another.

While I was waiting, I decided to have breakfast.  The ER doctor said no fat so I decided on spinach and eggs, with some garlic added for flavor.  I realized I needed salt for it so I went looking for the salt shaker.  I have two, one for the kitchen, one for the table, but do you think I could find either?  Of course not.

While the eggs cooled, I looked everywhere for a salt shaker and when I started unearthing things on the table (unsuccessfully), I picked up the little pouch that holds the electronics for my laptop.  I suddenly saw myself putting the blue flash drive in that pouch.  I opened the pouch and there it was!

I also found the salt shaker buried on the kitchen counter.

The very first thing I did was to copy all of those files on the desktop drive so I could put the flash drive away with the other seven drives.

That done, I got the review written and sent off.  Then it was time to go to Kaiser.

The doctor and I went over the ER results, she ordered more blood work, did a bladder ultrasound but, like the ER doctor, had no clue what happened.  But in the interim, between Friday and today, I was feeling almost normal so we're just taking a wait and see stance.

When we got home, Tom called and we chatted about how much the girls love school and how their after school activities include soccer and karate for both, cooking for Lacie, French for Bri.  Bri also wants to start learning the trumpet.  I think I'm glad I'm not living in their house these days.  Interesting, but exhausting!

Tom asked if we were coming down to SB while Jeri was there later this month.  I told him this was the first I was hearing of it.

Walt swears we discussed it with Jeri when she was here for the 4th of July but I have zero memory of it.  Things like that scare me, given the dementia history and my other regular memory lapses.

We decided that yes, we would like to go to Santa Barbara while  Jeri is here.

Came time to cook dinner.  I was making a crock pot meal.  I put everything in the crock pot, set the timer, and sat down to watch some talking head or other.  Half an hour later, I went to check on it and discovered that I had forgotten to push the "start" button, so I did that, went back to my recliner, got up to check in it half an hour and discovered I had set it for "low" and it was supposed to be "high" so I reset it for high and went back to my recliner.  In about 15 minutes I went to check on it and discovered that I had again forgotten to press the start button.

It was beginning to look like dinner at 10 p.m.

I had halved the recipe and it actually was ready to eat at 9:30, which, while late, is not completely unusual for us.

I was happy when it was time to go to sleep, but it is now 4:45 a.m. and I have not yet been able to sleep.  However, I did finally get to watch The Theory of Everything.

Oh.  And when I went to eat my dinner and wanted to salt my meal, I couldn't find the salt shaker.


Scarlet Robin, from my friend Claire, in Australia

I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!
Remember to sign your name in the "Name" box or else you will show up as "anonymous"
(unless you want to be anonymous, that is!)

HTML Guestbook is loading comments...



<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #6772