Today in My History
Diamonds and Stones
Books Read in 2016
Mirror Site for RSS
New Kiva loan (Doreen from Kenya)
The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers
Swap Bot: My Day
20 February 2016
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Sixteen Tons (1955)1) 16 tons = 32,000 pounds, because there are 2,000 lbs. to a ton. Without looking it up, do you know how many ounces are in a pound?
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
I may not know a lot of measurements, but as a cook, this is definitely one I know.
2) The singer describes himself as having "a mind that's weak and a back that's strong." Think about yourself. Which feels more powerful today, your body or your brain?
My back is never strong. Whether my mind if strong or not depends on the day...and the hour!
3) The poor chap in this song has money troubles. Are you good at sticking to your budget?
If I had a budget, I probably would not stick to it, but I'm fairly good about money these days. Gone are the days of "miscellaneous sundries at Longs" which caused so much consternation around here.
4) Tennessee Ernie Ford snapped his fingers as he recorded this song. It's been said that while it's possible to snap your fingers of both hands, the noise is louder with your "dominant hand." (So if you're a rightie, the finger snap will be louder with your right hand.) Try it yourself. Did you find this to be true?
Hard to tell. The numbness in 2 of my fingers on the right (non-dominant) hand makes it difficult to snap at all.
5) Mr. Ford appeared as "Cousin Ernie" in three episodes of I Love Lucy. What's your all-time favorite sitcom?
Probably The Dick Van Dyke show. I never did get into I Love Lucy...too loud and slap-sticky for my tastes (Sorry, Jimmy)
6) Tennessee Ernie took the money he made from his performing career and invested in a California cattle ranch. Think back to the last beef your ate. How was it prepared?
In the past few years, my beef consumption has decreased significantly, but they did set a burger on fire for me last night, so that was the last time I ate beef. Sadly, I ordered it medium rare and it came well done. But the sauce and everything else about it was delicious.
7) Mr. Ford passed away at age 72 in 1991. That year, Dr. Seuss also died. What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?
Probably "Horton Hatches an Egg." For one thing it's an elephant, after all, and for another I just love how devoted he is to taking care of that egg for ungrateful Mazie bird.
8) Gene Roddenberry also died that year. Mr. Roddenberry is best known as the creator of Star Trek. Who is your favorite Star Trek character?
Mr. Spock, of course. But if we go to non-regulars on TOS, it would have to be the tribbles.
9) Random question: We're having smoothies. What's your favorite?
PHOTO OF THE DAY
4:30 a.m. Writing yesterday's entry
I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!
HTML Guestbookis loading comments...
This is entry #5811