Saturday 9: Working My Way Back to You (1966)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) We're celebrating the last holiday of summer with The Four Seasons. Which season is your favorite?
I love spring because of all the blossoms and wild flowers and the deep green of the hills, but the problem spring is that it's followed by summer, my least favorite season. So my favorite season has to be autumn because of the fall color, the cooler temps, and knowing that it will be followed by winter, which I love.
2) Before they settled on The Four Seasons, they called themselves The Four Lovers, The Romans and The Village Voices. If you were/are in a band, please share the name. Or just make up a cool name for your pretend band.
I was never in a band, but my kids started a 4-piece band called Doughboys which grew to be a 10-11 piece band called Lawsuit, which achieved some fame in California for about 10 years. They were about ten years too early to make it big.
3) Lead singer Frankie Valli has occasionally fudged the year of his birth. Have you ever lied about your age?
Never. I think it's silly. I'm proud of having made it 72 years. (I don't dye my hair either)
4) Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen ... New Jersey has given us many music superstars. What is your state known for?
Discovery of gold, California wines, the birth of the hippie movement, the movie industry, and such famous names as Natalie Wood, Clint Eastwood, Steve Jobs, Monica Lewinsky, Danny Glover, Benjamin Bratt and a host more.
5) In 1965, Frankie was arrested in Columbus, Ohio. But it wasn't his fault! The bandmate he trusted to pay the group's hotel bill neglected to do so. Tell us about a time when your trusting nature got you in trouble.
Without going into detail, there was a friend to whom I loaned a lot of money and have never seen it (or heard from her) again. My friend Gilbert always said "never loan money unless you are willing never to see it again" and I made the loan with that in mind.
6) Clint Eastwood directed the movie version of the Four Seasons biography, Jersey Boys. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie?
I'm not a big Eastwood fan and don't generally see his genre of films, but I did enjoy Space Cowboys.
7) According to the U.S. Census, more and more Americans are working from home. Are you one of them?
I'm retired, so yes, except for the plays that I have to go to see in order to write a review for my part time job as theater critic.
8) Of those of us who work outside the home, 75% travel to work alone. 15% take public transportation and the remaining 10% carpool. How do you get to your job?
I get up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee and walk into my office, which is off the family room.
9) Do you have any big plans for this holiday weekend?
Saturday night I am reviewing a show; Sunday we are having lunch with my mother to celebrate her birthday* and in the afternoon going to a memorial service for Dave Fisk, who died August 27. I also have to be sure to write the review that day so I can submit it on Monday morning.
*My math has been off. All this past year I've been saying she is 96 and going to be 97, but she's actually 95, going to be 96, so she has another year to go before she hits 97. I don't know when I got the numbers off!