Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic
Memorial Day was
introduced to honor the men and women who died while serving the in the
United States Armed Forces. We want to make sure that message is not
forgotten this weekend.
My father was 4F and none of his uncles served in the military. My mother's brothers served in WWII and at least one was held in a prisoner of war camp. I told about his memories in a blog entry a couple of years ago.
2) Memorial Day also kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Used to be my father's potato salad. He made the best potato salad, bar none. Nobody has been able to duplicate it and I haven't even tried in decades. Now my favorite picnic food is probably stuffed eggs.
3) Name a scent that reminds you of someone special in your life.
I can't think of any special scent.
4) When was the last time you had your hair cut or trimmed?
I had it shaved in March to raise funds for Children's Cancer Research. It is now growing back but it will be a long time before I see the inside of a hair cutting establishment again!
5) Crazy Sam runs on Dunkin'. Are you loyal to a particular brand of coffee?
Peets French Roast. We have been drinking Peets coffee since he opened his very first shop in Berkeley in the late 1960s. After we moved to Davis in 1973, we continued to return to Berkeley to buy coffee and were so happy when a Peets opened up close to our house.
6) If money was no object, what home improvement would you like to make this summer?
If money were absolutely no
object, I would hire a landscape gardener to totally redo our back
7) What was the last thing you bought purely for your own enjoyment?
I'm sure it was a book, but I can't remember which one now.
2003, in Australia. It was when I was recovering from my bike accident earlier that year and I was able to ride for a bit, but after I got home, my knee started acting up and I couldn't even ride a block without it hurting, so I have not ridden since then. (Also, my bike was stolen, so even if I wanted to, I could not)
9) Sam worries that many of her song selections reflect her decidedly Baby Boomer sensibilities. Is there a song or a performer that you'd like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer?
I haven't been around Saturday 9 long enough to get a feel for what others like, but there are some John Denver songs focused on the environment which should make for interesting questions for discussion.