Today in My History

2001: Prison Time
2002: The Wages of Sin
2003: This Nearly Was Mine
2004: What Do You Say to a Naked Doctor?
2005A Musical Meme

2006: Psst...Psst...Psst...
2007: Mr. Brunelle  
2008: Tower of Babel
2009: Magic Puppies
2010: Trading Spencer
2011: Sleaze and Deception
2012: Sunday Stealing

2013: Automatic Pilot

Bitter Hack
: 3/18
"Rapture, Blister, Burn"

Books Read in 2015
 Updated: 3/12
"My Year with Eleanor"

Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
Airy Persiflage

CompassionButton.jpg (2957 bytes)
Letter from Miche

My PinterestLogo.jpg (1892 bytes)

ProudElderblogger.gif (1358 bytes)

The Philosophy of Juice & Crackers

The story of Delicate Pooh

The story of the Pinata Group

mail to Walt

mail to Bev

Many people have complained of problems getting the latest entry on the home page. Because Yahoo thinks there is no problem with the home page on their end, I'm keeping this as a permanent note for every entry.  I update DAILY.  If you don't see a new entry in the index page for a day or two, try refreshing your page.  If that doesn't work, try shift-ctrl-r.  If that doesn't work, go to the bottom of the last page you can see and click on "Journal Home."  And if all else fails, give up on Funny the World and go to http://airypersiflage.blogspot.com, which has the identical content, but not all of the extra stuff on Funny the World.  I am beyond frustrated.


19 March 2015

I'm convinced that there is somewhere a Kingdom of Lost Socks, a place where little sock monkeys go out in the night, sneak into people's homes, and somehow remove socks from the dryers as they are being dried.

I don't know why they need the socks.  Perhaps it is very cold where they live.  And I also don't know why they only take one sock, but maybe because they don't want to be greedy.  Or maybe they are just mischievous enough that they want to cause consternation.

Whatever.  I have been hit hard by the sock monkeys lately.

It was a lovely day, yesterday. Jeri got up in the morning and looked out the back door and said "you mean I can just open the door and walk outside."  She didn't need parka or gloves or hat or boots.  Just walked outside and enjoyed the sun, that strange phenomenon in the sky which has not visited Boston in awhile.

She spent the morning with my mother, so I had the "day off."  I know my mother was disappointed that I didn't join them, but I had a lunch date with my friend Kathy, our monthly visit.  We tried a new Davis restaurant this time and I ordered a Thai chicken salad, which was ok as a salad, but there was nothing Thai about it.  No cilantro, no Thai seasonings, no peanuts on top (which was promised in the menu).  I was disappointed. 

At night, we went to San Francisco to join Charlotte for dinner and the SF symphony.  It was a program of Handel (Water Music) and Haydn (Trumpet Concerto in E-flat Major and Symphony No. 98 in B-flat major).

Mark Inouye, principal trumpet for the symphony played the Trumpet Concerto and it was perfect that Jeri was there because Mark is an old friend of hers.  Actually, his brother Steve was her friend and they were in bands together in high school.

We told Char about the "Rebel Band" they formed out of frustration with their band teacher.  They would march at local events, dressed in camouflage uniforms.  Walt remembered that Mark's brother played the xylophone which they somehow rigged on a wheeled platform that someone could push for him.  Kind of like Woody Allen playing the cello in Take the Money and Run.

Mark was a talented kid from the get go.  I remember when Wynton Marsalis came to town and Mark had the opportunity to play with him.  He went off to college to study engineering before admitting that his real love was music, so he attended Julliard and graduated from there.

He's been principal trumpet in several orchestras and has traveled all over the world performing.  He's in his late 40s now but I still think of him as the kid I knew when he was growing up.

What I remember most about Mark was the "party" he and his brothers held for their dying mother.  She was in the last days of her cancer, her husband having died of a heart attack a couple of years before.  The kids rented the city's mobile stage and set it up in their back yard and invited all of their mother's friends to come for food and music -- all three of the boys played instruments and they played all afternoon. We all got a chance to say goodbye to their mother and I told her how proud she should be of her sons.

It was the way a funeral should be...while the about-to-be-deceased can enjoy it.



I'd love it if you'd leave a comment!
Remember to sign your name in the "Name" box or else you will show up as "anonymous" (unless you want to be anonymous, that is!)

HTML Guestbook is loading comments...

<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #5471