Saturday 9: Daddy's Little Man (1969)
... because it's Father's Day weekend
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about an afternoon visit between a father and son. What are your plans for Saturday afternoon?
We're going to a birthday party for a a former co-worker of Walt's, who is turning 100.
2) The lyrics talk about enjoying an ice cream cone. Do you have any ice cream in your freezer right now?
Yes. Haagen Dazs mini ice cream bars.
3) Sam's father hates it when she swears. When is the last time you cursed?
A few minutes ago, when the remote to the TV wasn't working right.
4) In a recent ranking of movie dads, Mufasa (Lion King) and Atticus (To Kill a Mockingbird) got very high marks. Who is your favorite movie or TV father?
Spencer Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
5) Sam's own father often traveled for business, and always remembered to bring her the little complimentary soaps, shampoos or body lotion he got from the hotel. When you take a trip, do you bring back souvenirs?
Yes, but not a lot. Usually postcards and refrigerator magnets.
6) Back when Sam was in high school, it was her father who gave her driving lessons. Who taught you how to drive?
My father. He was far more strict than the guy who gave me my driving test at the DMV.
7) Sam's own father is easy to buy for: every year he wants a new pair of loafers, so every year for Father's Day she gives him a DSW gift card. Would you rather receive a gift that someone chose, even though it might not be just right, or do you prefer a gift card or cash so you can get exactly what you want?
There's not really anything I want and a gift that someone chose for me is very special.
8) For family barbecues, Sam's dad dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill?
It's been years. Perhaps decades, but it would have been either hamburger or chicken, since that's about all we ever cooked on the grill.
9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually want something sweet or salty?
Usually something salty.