Today in My History
2000: The Melody Lingers
2001: Not Ready for Prime Time
2002: Moving On
2003: The Gadget Guru
2004: Still on the Fly
2005: I've Been At This Too Long
2006: The Song that Started It All
2008: Night of the Living Munchkin
2009: Bits of Theatre
2010: Chaos and
2011: How Do You Spell Hong Kong?
2012: You Can't Go Home in the Rain
2013: The Dishes
Find a Home
Funny Thing Happened
on the Way to the Forum
A Chorus Line
Books Read in 2014
"Shakespeare: the World as Stage"
Recent on My
Ernest & Vanessa's
Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
mail to Walt
4 May 2014
TV Meme, part two
16. Talk Shows. Do you watch daytime talk TV? If
so, do you prefer the calm shows like Oprah or the wilder side like Jerry Springer?
I watch The Today Show, and Kelly and Michael. I used to
watch Oprah, Ellen, and other afternoon talk shows, but now I stick with NCIS
(etc) marathons and turn over to MSNBC when Chris Hayes comes on at 5 and then Rachel
Maddow at 6 and then Jeopardy
17. Which daytime talk TV show would you like to be on? What would the topic be?
It would probably be fun to be on Ellen, but I can't think what topic we
would talk about.
18. Before talk TV took over game shows ruled the airways during the day, which do you
prefer? Or are you a soap opera fan?
I haven't watched soap operas in more than 40 years. I love game shows.
19. Is there a game show (past or present) you think you would do really well on, as a
I'm too old for game shows now. Reflexes and memory aren't quick enough, but I
would love to have qualified for Jeopardy (which we watch every day,
religiously). For past game shows, it would have been fun to be on Password.
20. Who is your favorite game show host? Who is your least favorite?
Love Alex Trebek. Wink Martendale had too greasy a smile for my tastes.
21. Marathons. Have you watched any TV marathons? In part? In
whole? Is there a show youd like to see run an all day marathon? On the flipside is
there a show youd avoid in marathon?
Good lord. So many. I did all of Breaking Bad in about 2 days so
I would be ready for the finale. I did four seasons of Sopranos in about a
week. I recently did a The Americans marathon, but that was only one
season. I watch alphabet marathons on USA (NCIS, NCIS-LA, SVU, etc.) I would love to
have them do a marathon of West Wing, Northern Exposure or Picket
Fences so I could see them all again.
22. Out of curiosity, whats the longest youve ever watched TV in one
I think the Breaking Bad marathon was the longest, where I started before
sunrise and finished around midnight.
23. On the whole do you feel most Special Reports are really that special? Or are they
simply annoying? What special report has affected you most? (IE: (9/11, Reagan being
Some special reports, yes, but most, no. It's just the network trying to be
first to deliver bad news. The one that affected me the most was the first of the
special reports : the Kennedy assassination. I was out of the country on 9/11
and missed all the reports during that week.
24. What is the (pick one: stupidest, saddest, silliest, most disgusting..) thing
youve ever seen on TV?
Most disgusting has to be either some of those "I eat gross things" shows,
or Who Wants to Marry a Millionare where a woman married a stranger on TV because
she wanted his money. I can't watch any hoarder shows either.
25. Whats your fondest memory of something on TV?
I remember watching a concert version of Les Miserables that was absolutely
26. Whats the first show you remember watching regularly?
We got our first TV in 1953, which is more than 50 years ago, so I don't remember the
first show I remember watching regularly. I remember watching Ed
Sullivan regularly and the very first TV program we watched on our own set
was Life with Luigi, with J. Carroll Nash.
27. What shows would make up a perfect night of TV viewing for you?
Jeopardy, NCIS, Scandal, White Collar, and The Daily Show (that
takes me from 7 to 11;30)
28. You get to create one show to put on the schedule, with any stars you choose. Who
and what would it be?
Amazon.com is considering a show called Bosch, based on author Michael
Connelly's hero, Harry Bosch, starring Titus Welliver in the title role. I can't
think of a better new show to put on any schedule. I love Harry Bosch.
29. Canceling or Not. What show(s) would you cancel without a moments hesitation?
Is there a show (previously canceled or just no longer airing) that youd bring back,
original cast and all?
Honey Boo Boo or Dance Moms, neither of which I have watched, but
which look ghastly in promos. The show I would bring back would be The West Wing,
but since the actors are either too old...or dead...that would not be possible (and I
certainly wouldn't want to see anybody else in those roles!)
30. Whats the best series finale you remember?
Hands down, Newhart where his character woke up in the middle of the night,
in bed with Suzanne Pleschette, Bob Newhart's wife from his previous show and that
everything we had just seen had been his dream. Brilliant (and perhaps a nod to the
finale of St. Elsewhere, where the show turned out to be taking place in the mind
of an autistic boy)