GROWING UP MEME
August 17, 2014
At the time I always write these things, there is no new
Sunday Stealing, so I'll pull a meme from my files that I dont think I've done before.
How much schooling have you had?
8 years Catholic grammar school, 4 years Catholic high school, 1 yr at UC Berkeley.
Did you enjoy school?
Neutral on grammar school, loved high school, hated the school part of UC Berkeley.
Stop and count, Since you were born until today; how many homes have you lived
1. The flat my parents rented in San Francisco from 1943 until about 1974, when they
finally bought a house.
2. Dorm at UC Berkeley in 1961
3. Apartment in Berkeley, living alone
4. Apartment in Berkeley, living with Gerry (Ned's godmother)
5. Living with Mike and Char for about six months
6. Apartment in Berkeley, living alone
7. The first apartment Walt and I had after we married, in Berkeley
8. A house we rented in Albany (next door to Berkeley)
9. The house we bought in Oakland in 1971
10. The house we bought in Davis in 1973
While growing up, did you have any role models?
My typing teacher, Sister Anne, who was my teacher, then my good friend for the rest
of her life, until she died about 20 years ago.
While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
My sister (who was 4-1/2 years younger) and I were never close; I got alone well with
my mother, not so well with my father. We were all united in our dislike of my grandmother
(my father's mother), though I loved my mother's mother. My two grandfathers were always
kind of distant. My cousin Peach was my good friend from the time we were both very young.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First, a nurse (until I thought about the smells and yucky stuff I'd have to deal
with), then a nun.
What were your favorite activities 3 years ago?
Pretty much the same activities that I do today. Things don't change much when you
As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
I was untidy, uncoordinated, shy, lazy, but good natured and lovable with a good
sense of humor. I have not changed
As a child, were you popular?
No. I had a few friends, but was never one of the popular guys.
When and with whom was your first kiss?
I don't remember when, but I was 13 and it was from Bill Farrington, who was my
boyfriend for 3 years, until he went into the seminary to become a Jesuit brother.
Describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today.
* Sister Anne, of course, had a HUGE influence on me. I can't imagine where I would
be today if I had not had a solid foundation in typing.
* I credit Sister Mary William, the music teacher, with getting me started on
writing, since she was also in charge of the school yearbook and newspaper and got me on
the staff of both.
* From my father I got my love of music my sense of humor.
*I wish I could say I got the ability to keep house, cook, or garden from my mother,
but somehow those traits never "took" with me.
Beats me. Too many completely unexpected things have happened in my life for me to
predict "what's next"? It's all an adventure.