Today in My History
It's All a
Think I Scan, I Think I Scan
2005: Losing My
of Your Damn Business
2007: Ethel Sings Again
Experience is Ever Wasted
2009: The Wedding
2010: Crazy Critters
2012: Is There a Doctor in the House?
2013: It was
the Best of Times; It was theWorst of Times
Books Read in 2014
Recent on My
Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
mail to Walt
August 3, 2014
From the now-defunct: Friday Feast
1. You have been awarded the time off from work and an all-expenses paid week anywhere
in the United States. The catch is that it must be somewhere you have not been before.
Where do you choose to visit?
A week, hmmm.... There are places I'd like to visit. Maybe Branson, MO.
It sounds corny and I'm not really a big country music fan, though I enjoy it, but I've
heard so much about it, I think I wouldn't mind spending a week there. From what
I've heard, there is enough night life to keep us going for 7 days. Or, since this
is all expenses paid, maybe Maui. We've been to Oahu, Kaui and the Big Island, but
not to Maui.
2. Name your guilty pleasures.
Most of my pleasures are guilty, and most involve food.
3. The best kind of milkshake is:
A chocolate malt. The problem is that they don't make them any more, at least
not the real malty ones that I remember from my childhood. Either that or my taste
buds are dying and I can't taste the malt. My father's favoritest thing was to go to
some soda shop (or the drink counter at our local drug store) and order a big, thick
4. What do you value most in other people?
Loyalty, friendship, the ability to laugh together.
5. Be honest. Do you sneak some raw cookie dough when youre baking cookies?
A better question would be "do you get any of the dough into the oven to
cook?" I love cookie dough.
6. Have you ever looked back at your life and realized that something you thought was a
bad thing was actually a blessing in disguise?
I have learned through the tragedies in our lives that it really is true that when
God shuts a door he opens a window. I wouldn't say I think of either of our kids'
deaths as "blessings in disguise," but if Paul hadn't died, I never would have
met Steve Schalchlin, who became one of my best loved and most valued friends. If my
friend Gilbert hadn't died, I never would have been able to help the family through the
aftermath of David's death, or realized that I was capable of writing a book.
7. What is the most beautiful place you have ever visited?
We have seen so many beautiful places, but at the top of the list would have to be
the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland. Spectacular. Second might be Cinque Terra in
Italy. Gorgeous. Some day I would like to see Iguacu falls in Brasil, which
people have been encouraging us to see for decades, and see how that sight compares on the
beauty scale with the Cliffs.
8. Are you more of a thinker or a feeler?
Definitely a feeler. I am rarely a thinker.
9. Name three things you are thankful for right now.
* Today, air conditioning for sure!!!
* STARZ (which is airing Episode 1 of the Outlander mini series OnDemand
* That I still have my mother in my life and that she is in good physical health
(about to turn 95!)
10. Have you ever participated in a three-legged race?
Years and years and years ago.
11. When you are at an event that plays the National Anthem, do you place your hand
over your heart?
Sometimes. Not always.
12. Have you ever been on the wrong side of the law?
Only when I have driven too fast (managed to talk my way out of two speeding
tickets...I don't speed any more)
13. When was the last time you unintentionally surprised someone else?
Thursday, when I showed up for lunch with my mother. I hadn't told her I was coming,
but even if I had, she wouldn't have remembered, so I'm not sure that counts!
14. When was the last time you deliberately surprised someone else?
I can't think of the last time I deliberatey surprised someone, but the best
time I ever surprised someone was Walt's
surprise 50th birthday party, 24 years ago. I will never be able to top that.
15. What was the last really funny movie you watched?
An oldie but goodie...I saw Waiting for Guffman a couple of weeks ago.
An hilarious movie especially for theater people.