Today in My History
2000: Reno at
"Midsummer Night's Dream"
Books Read in 2011
"The Camel Club"
VIDEO OF THE DAY/WEEK
Most Recent on My
Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
My Compassion Kids
The Pen Pal Project
Click above to help sponsor Walt in an ALS walk, October 1. He is a "designated walker" for someone who had signed up and then can't participate, but Walt's good friend Bill Cunningham died of ALS and he was more than happy to do the walk. Let me show him that my readers are stsanding behind him! (The name on the account is Lion-Carlos Carvajal and the team is the Yolo Sunset Lions Club). Thanks!!!
DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!
27 September, 2011
We had a momentary power failure here today. An eyeblink of a power failure. Here's what it did.
* Obviously the computer turned off and turned on
in an error-checking mode, which always strikes fear and terror in my heart because I know
I should be checking something but I never know what I need to check. I always just
start it in normal mode and hope I didn't screw anything up.
I spent a long time getting things (except the cable box) back the way they should be, including re-installing the corrupted software. When the printer came on line, I found out I was out of ink, so I had to go out and buy more printer ink. This took about an hour because they didn't have ink for my printer's model at the local CVS which meant I had to drive across town to Office Max and, of course, you can't just go through Office Max and only buy the thing you came for. Half and hour and nearly $100 later, I was headed home.
There was a chicken cooking in the crock pot and I was thinking, as I drove home, that it should just about be done, but when I went in the house, the crock pot had, of course, also gone off when the power went out, only I didn't realize it until the chicken was nearly cold...tepid, actually. I don't know how long it had been standing in the barely warm crock pot and I had visions of food poisoning.
But I stuck it in the oven and cooked it for an hour...then cooked it for another 30 minutes when I realized that it still was raw near the bone.
At least it was juicy and tasty, and so far no signs of food poisoning, but I may be a bit premature to declare the all-clear.
We are so complacent about the electronic gadgets in our lives and it's hard to realize that in literally an eyeblink, our entire life could change. Of course nothing that happened this afternoon was catastrophic, but it does make you think about how dependent we are on that little connection to electricity!
I had a big surprise when I woke up this morning. I went to get my Birkinstocks, which were lying beside my recliner and when I picked them up, this huge worm fell out of them.
I don't have a clue where it came from. I was wearing the Birkinstocks yesterday, so wherever it came from it had to be during the night. I somehow can't imagine the thing crawling in here from outside, especially over the metal tracks of the sliding glass door.
I couldn't have carried in on my shoe yesterday or I would have squished the thing flat.
I guess I'll never know...but the dogs sure enjoyed checking it out, until I scooped it up and tossed it in the tall grass by the back fence.
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Congratulations to Jim, of Jim's Journal on fifteen years
of continuous journaling!