`Dec11.jpg (39294 bytes)        


Today in My History

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

2000:  Defending the Caveman
2001:  Saved by Koala Poop
Like Mother, Like Daughter-in-Law
It shouldn't Happen to a Turkey
I Saw Sheila Eating Santa Claus
Geeks Bearing Gifts
2006 Day of the Living Dead
A Show Busy Day

2008:  It Takes a Village
2009:  Channeling Paris

We Forgot to go Boxing

Our 2011 Christmas letter

Bitter Hack
Updated: 12/6
"Every Christmas Story Ever Told"

Books Read in 2011
Updated: 12/24
"The Mind's Eye"


Brianna gets a puppet theater from Bev Sykes on Vimeo.

and on YouTube

Most Recent on Myflickr_logo.gif (801 bytes)

Christmas 2011

Mirror Site for RSS Feed:
Airy Persiflage
My Compassion Kids
The Pen Pal Project

ProudElderblogger.gif (1358 bytes)

holi11badge-snowflake.jpg (17387 bytes)


27 December, 2011

Today we went for a walk in the woods.

We walked with Joe's daughter Jocelyn, her husband David, and little Charlee.

We were heading for the Elwood Butterfly Preserve, where monarch butterflies come every winter to mate.  I had read about it in the local paper and had always wanted to be in one of those places where you were surrounded by monarch butterflies. Here it was right in the back yard, just about.

As we approached the eucalyptus grove where the swarms were, you could suddenly see what looked like big clumps of vegetation in the branches of the trees.

Then as you watched, you realized that these were not just "clumps," but clumps of butterflies.

And as the sun rose higher and began to warm the clumps, the butterflies became more active, flying all over the place, and the clumps were much easier to distinguish.

It was just magical.  We sat there transfixed.

Ned took video.

And Bri, along with a group of children, helped a butterfly fly, because it had gotten too cold.  When they blew on the wings, it flew off.

We sat there for a very long time just watching them fly about.

When we were finished, we walked to the top of the hill and out to the bluffs, which overlooked the ocean.

The weather was perfect and the scenery so beautiful.  When we left the preserve, we went and had lunch with Ned, Marta, Jeri, Tom and Bri and then came home, whereupon I dove, once again, onto the couch and slept for about 2 hrs, during which time Joe's granddaughter had joined the group.  We quickly reheated leftovers from Christmas dinner and then met Ned, Marta and Jeri at the theatre, where we saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie.

One thing I can say--it sure isn't Basil Rathbone!

Ending the evening on a happy note.  It was a lovely, beautiful day.


Bri stalking the wild egret



echo.jpg (1435 bytes)

<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #4292