`LogoNov10.jpg (94391 bytes)        


Today in My History

2000:  I Have to Go Potty
2001:  Slogans and Platitudes
War and Remembrance

They Just Fall In My Lap
At Bush's Mercy
2006: Gemma
2007: Utterz for Lazy Bloggers
2008: The Right to be Stupid

2009:  Autumn Leaves

(feature story)

Books Read in 2010
Updated: 11/10
The Woman I Was Born to Be"
(the Susan Boyle autobiography)

Recipes for Cousins Day Drinks
(updated 3/17/10)


Day 1 from Bev Sykes on Vimeo.

and on You Tube

Most Recent on My flickr_logo.gif (1441 bytes)

Postcrossing Postcards

Mirror Site for RSS Feed
Airy Persiflage

Three Good Things

My Compassion Kids

ProudElderblogger.gif (1358 bytes)


12 November 2010

"Methought I heard a voice cry 'Sleep no more!
Macbeth does murder sleep', the innocent sleep,
Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast,--"

I've been trying to knit up that ravell'd sleeve all day today, the world's determination to keep the sleeve ravelled to the contrary.

In another boring entry about my attempts to sleep, this day started at about 3:30 a.m., when Max started whimpering.  Rather than get up instantly to fix formula, I decided to wait until they all started moving around, but what happened was that Max went back to sleep, while I watched Oprah's talk show host show, Law and Order SVU and part of a movie.  The damn dogs didn't wake up until 6:30.

So at 6:30, I got up and fed everybody.  They are all getting better at eating now.  Whereas on Day #1 I was happy when collectively they took 2 oz.  This morning, for example, Patty took more than 2 oz herself.

Patty.jpg (36217 bytes)

The morning was pretty uneventful, except for a disconcerting phone call with someone who was calling for medical advice and who should have gone to see a doctor, but ultimately (after speaking with a nurse and making an appointment with a doctor) decided not to go after all, which made me worry all afternoon.  But then people have to make their own decisions.  I guess.

Walt went off to a dentist appointment in Berkeley and I decided to finally make those Trader Joe brownies with the mini peanut butter cups in them (the low cal version of course). 

As they were coming out of the oven, Ashley arrived to (a) clip the dogs' nails (including the puppies), (b) bring me a scale so I can track the puppies' weights, and (c) talk with me about "Pupdates," the newsletter she wrote to try to boost dog adoptions.  I'm sure she didn't really know I was making brownies, but I know she loves them, so I shared with her and sent her home with a care package (which was a good thing because I didn't eat as many).

I finally decided that I had to get some sleep, so I politely asked Polly and Shiloh if I could share my chair with them and I went to sleep.  Within 20 minutes, the guy who always calls when I take a nap called.  I know he doesn't have a clue that I'm taking a nap but if I'm going to get a phone call when I'm trying to nap, I know he'll be the one who calls--and always just as I get into deep sleep.

After he hung up, I managed, miraculously, to get back into that sleep place again when the phone rang again and it was BloodSource, reminding me that I am giving blood tomorrow.  Now since they had just called me THAT MORNING to make the appointment,  I think the reminder was unnecessary (even given my growing problems with short term memory), though I understand that the calls come from two different people who probably have no communication with each other at all.

Miraculously, I managed to get back to sleep yet again when the third phone call came, from the Enterprise letting me know that I finally have business cards printed.  I will pick them up tomorrow, before going to the University to see a show tomorrow night. Take THAT, Parking Nazi!

It should be pointed out that I can literally go weeks without a single phone call, but today I had three, and all came to keep me from napping.   A person could get paranoid, if she is sleep deprived.

I tried one more time to get back to my "knitting up a sleeve place" but it was too late because the puppies were all awake.

I got all the babies fed (though only Max really ate enthusiastically this time), and then called my friend to see if she woke up from the nap she had decided to take instead of going to see the doctor.  I was relieved that she answered the phone, so she had not died during her sleep.

At least she got to sleep!


Dryer.jpg (40856 bytes)

Mama Bear takes her daily spin
to de-poopify her fur


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #3879


Search WWW Search Funny the World