`LogoDec10.jpg (55590 bytes)        


Today in My History

2000:  Rocky 2
2001:  Love Letters
An Ethel Queen and a Judy Queen
Mind and Body
A Holly, Jolly Christmas
'Tis the Season Again
2006Are You There, Grunya?
2007: The Printed Page

2008:  On the First Day of Christmas...
2009:  The Very Best Christmas Ever

Our 2010 Christmas Letter

A Christmas Carol

Books Read in 2010
Updated: 12/7

Recipes for Cousins Day Drinks
(updated 3/17/10)


The Great Outdoors from Bev Sykes on Vimeo.

and on You Tube

Most Recent on My flickr_logo.gif (1441 bytes)

Thanksgiving 2010

Mirror Site for RSS Feed
Airy Persiflage

My Compassion Kids

ProudElderblogger.gif (1358 bytes)

holi10-badge-holly.gif (2346 bytes)Following my friend Jim's example, I'll put in this brief introduction for people who might stumble over this jounal on Holidailies

I'm a middle-aged (if I plan to live to 134)   grandmother, retired from full time work, though working as a part-time theatre critic.  I foster dogs (usually puppies) for the SPCA and many of my entries end up being about dogs and/or puppy poop.  Walt and I raised five children and buried two of them.  Our remaining three are married to three fabulous spouses, all of whom I love a lot and we have, of course, the most beautiful grandchild in the world. 

This journal started in March of 2000 and I've pretty much updated daily, with very, very few misses, ever since then.  (I even wrote an entry on a coin-operated computer in a tiny town in England!)


14 December 2010

We are still without a phone. 

Jason from AT&T came out this morning and was here for about half an hour, after which the land line worked just fine, and the DSL line worked just fine.  The only problem was that we didn't have caller ID on the downstairs phone. He kind of played around with that a bit and said he'd have to come back when he could go through the wall connections (which meant we'd have to do major furniture moving).

About 10 seconds after he left, the phone rang.  I thought it was Walt calling to test the line.  I picked it up and it was this guy I try to dodge every year.  He always greets me like a long lost friend, cheery in the used car salesman sort of way.  He is selling tickets for kids to go to a ball game (baseball? football?  I don't remember).  I never buy from him because he just sounds so sleazy.  And so I try to avoid him.  I told him AT&T was working on the line and that I couldn't talk and hung up on him.

And then the line died.  My bad Karma, I guess.   As we watched Jason and his truck vanish into the distance, we were once again without a DSL line. 

It turns out that we have a choice.  We can either have the internet or a land line, but if we try to put both on one line with a splitter, one cancels out the other.  The only number we can get to work is the DSL line...and nobody knows that number.  Heck, even *I* don't know that number and we've had it for about 10 years.

Walt called AT&T immediately and they said they would try to reach Jason (who, apparently, was not answering his cell phone).  They said if they couldn't get him back here, they would put in an additional work order to have someone else come out.  Presumably some time before the end of the year.  In the meantime, I have internet and if anybody desperately needs to reach us, it will have to be either by e-mail or by our cell phones.

After Jason left, I let the puppies outside again.   Where yesterday they had been very cautious about being out in the Big Wide World, today they are getting more bold.  At first they huddled together near the house, but when I moved them out to the grass, a long way from the house, they began moving more and soon, chasing each other, and us, around the yard.  So cute.

Of course, I made a big mistake when it was time to bring them back in.  I scooped up Laverne with one hand and then went to take Max with the other, but Max is such a big floppy horse that I nearly dropped him.  Note to self:   Two hands needed to pick Max u in the future!

We now have a dinnertime routine with the puppies.   The minute they see me move, all three are wide awake and racing out of the cage.   Max waddles over to the water bowl to drink and Laverne flops over on her back to suck on his penis.  I swear these are the most oral puppies ever.  Then Patty starts trying to climb up the fence because she wants a bottle.  I fix their kibble and put it in the cage and all three attack it.  They used to leave lots for Shiloh to clean up, but now they eat every single morcel.  And as soon as they finish, Patty is back at the fence again, crying, loudly, for a bottle.

I give it to her. 

PattyBottle2.jpg (107459 bytes)

She's this big horse, but she needs to suck.  So, apparently, does Laverne, but she has found her own thing to suck on.  I am gradually weakening what Patty gets in the bottle, so it is getting to be slightly formula flavored water now.   I'm going to try getting pacifiers for both Patty and Laverne and see if I can get them interested in those, but I'm not hopeful.  They both love their oral fixations so much!

Here's a good question:  which will happen first...will the puppies wean or will AT&T get our phone problems fixed?


PattyBottle.jpg (148673 bytes)


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

This is entry #3911


Search WWW Search Funny the World