`logoOct09.jpg (29434 bytes)          

Today in My History

2000:   Steve Times Four
2001:  It Only Hurts when I Laugh
2002:  Footprints in the Sand
2003:  I Apologize
2004I've Become Kyle's Mom
2005:  Who Cut the Cheese?
2006: A Geek Rant
2007: Obsessed

The (Other) Wedding

Legally Blonde: The Musical

Books Read in 2009
Updated: 9/17
"The Lost Symbol"

Recipes for Cousins Day Drinks
(updated 9/4/09)


Neighbors Night Out from Bev Sykes on Vimeo.

and on YouTube

Look at these Videos

Today's the Day
Web Side Story
Sand Animation
Why We Need Universal Health Care

How to Decorate a cake

New on My flickr_logo.gif (1441 bytes)

Grandma's 90th Birthday

Mirror Site for RSS Feed
Airy Persiflage

ProudElderblogger.gif (1366 bytes)



14 October 2009

We don't actually get snow or sleet here, but apparently rain has defeated our mail carrier.  It's the first storm of the season and yes, it's a big one, but we've had worse and still had our mail delivered.  But it's 5 p.m. as I write this and there is no sign of our mail carrier.  The mail usually arrives around noon here.

The rain has been a big surprise for the puppies.  I saw Higgins go outside, look up quizically, wander out under a tree and then run back, shaking water off his back.  Eliza just sits at the back door wondering what has turned her playground into a swimming pool.

But their day started out as a big surprise anyway.  I have been sleeping in the recliner since I saw the nerve conduction doctor.  She suggested keeping my arm straight as much as possible, including sleeping with my arm outstretched and that is much easier to do in the recliner than it is on the couch.  It's too early to know if it's helping or not.  If it doesn't help, no biggie, as long as the condition doesn't get worse, but I figure I'll give it a fighting chance.

Anyway, since we are one "pack," the puppies, who had started sleeping in the living room when I slept there, are now sleeping on the big dog bed which is right in front of the recliner.  So when I woke up this morning, I could hear the quiet whimpering sounds of hungry puppies.  When I sat up I was greeted with delighted wriggling bodies, tails wagging, tongues lapping and everybody telling me that I had slept so long that they were sure they were going to die of starvation.

I got up out of the chair, stood up and they went into a frenzy of excitement.

"She's Up!  She's Up!  She will feed us!!!" as the puppies all galloped off down the hall ahead of me.

When we got to the doorway into the kitchen, they took a sharp right and then came to a screetching stop when I kept on going down the hall into the bathroom.   There are some things that have to take place before puppies get fed, but you could just see the "WFT?????" look on the face of all of them.   "She's UP?  And she's not FEEDING us????"  They way they spun around and galloped down the hall following me was like something straight out of a Disney cartoon.

With all the rain, the puppies, who have been spending a lot of time outside, have, as Walt predicted, gone into "full poop mode," and I have "flushed the living room" several times throughout the day.  I can't really complain about these guys because they have been doing a lot of their business -- well over half, I am assuming (based on how much I've cleaned up today) outside instead of inside.  And who can blame them for not wanting to go poop outside when not even the mailman wants to walk the streets in the rain!

They've also discovered all sorts of wonderful new things to play with.  It actually started last night when they somehow got hold of the earphones for my iPod and chewed off one of the buds. 

And then today, it was full assault on The Wall.

wall.jpg (39158 bytes)

Now, again in fairness to the puppies, this is a hole that Paul kicked in the wall in one of his angry outbursts some 20 years ago that we just never have gotten around to fixing.  But the puppies discovered that it was something new to chew on and they ripped off part of the paint-covered wall and dug out some more of the insides of the wall as well.  We may actually have to do something about finally getting the hole fixed, though by now it has become the "Paul Sykes Memorial Hole" and perhaps we'll just put up a plaque instead.

The puppies also continue to tear away at a strip in the middle of the living room rug.  I'm of the feeling that this is a GREAT play toy for them because (a) they are having such fun working on it and (b) we will be tearing up the rug after they leave anyway, in  preparation for eventually putting in the new floor and the the more time they spend tearing up the rug, the less time they are spending finding something else to tear up.

They are growing like weeds these days and eating me out of house and home.  I got two medium size bags of large dog puppy kibble from the SPCA on Saturday and they have already finished over half of the first bag.  They eat 2-3 times a day and take about 4 cups of kibble at a feeding...and scarf it down almost instantly (no wonder they are such pooping machines).

But the surprises for the boys will continue this week, as they are going to the vet on Thursday to be neutered.  If my walk to the bathroom prompted a "WTF" look, you can just imagine what they are going to think when they wake from anesthesia with their barely formed manhood missing!

P.S.  The mail was finally delivered at 6 p.m.


rainrain.jpg (63838 bytes)
"Rain, rain, go away..."
When it's raining, there's really nothing else to do but take a nap.


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

<--previousnext -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards |  Flickr | Bev's Home Page

    This is entry #3488


WWW www.funnytheworld.com