This was a meme that was floating around
Facebook, and that I did there, but I haven't done it here, so I thought I would give it a
go (this version is more detailed).
The photo at the left is me at age 16-1/2, in my Sophomore year, I
believe. (My senior photo, in cap and gown, was just stupid!)
Our uniforms were the white blouse, a green jacket and a green and white
plaid pleated skirt.
Fill this out about your SENIOR year of high school!
The longer ago it was, the more fun the answers will be!! (well, I don't know about that...)
IN YOUR SENIOR YEAR...
1. Did you date someone from your school? That certainly would have raised lots of eyebrows--I went to an all girls
2. Did you marry someone from your high school?
See question #1
3. Did you car pool to school?
Nope--I commuted by cable car! (and the fare was only 15 cents). Actually I
took the Hyde St. cable car down to Geary Street and transferred to the 38 Geary bus,
which took me up the hill to school. For anyone who has been in San Francisco, the
school was where the Catholic cathedral (St. Mary's) is now. Geary St. was only 2
lanes wide and the houses around it (which are now expensive high rise condo buildings)
was part of a slum.
4. What kind of car did you have?
Car? Me? Surely you jest. I have never had my own car. I drove the family's
car, when I needed to (it was a Chevy)
5. What kind of car do you have now?
We have a champagne colored Honda Accord (only one car; we share it)
6. It is Friday night...where are you NOW?
It's actually Wednesday night, but I am at home (if it were Friday night I'd
be reviewing a play)
7. It is Friday night...where were you then?
God only knows. That was 50 years ago. Sometimes there was a party, but since
we were scattered all over San Francisco, there really was no "getting together"
regularly on any night of the week. If we got together to hang out, that was more
likely to take place during the day on the weekend.
8. What kind of job did you have in high school?
9. What kind of job do you do now? For pay?
Theatre critic, very part time and not exactly lucrative.
10. Were you a party animal?
Definitely not--and I'm not now either.
11. Were you considered a flirt?
Nope. I'm the perennial wall flower
12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? I always sang in the choir, in
high school and later when I was at Cal...and after that in church choirs.
13. Were you a nerd? Nah.
14. Did you get suspended or expelled? No. I was a good girl.
15. Can you sing the fight song? I don't remember a fight song. I
remember a school song though. "For the school that we love we'll sing the praises,
long and loud to all / united firm in pleasing words, which can no breaking know...."
(It was a very sappy song!). I actually think there was a fight song and if
someone starts me, I'm sure I could sing it--seems to me it was stolen from some well
known college song.
16. Who was/were your favorite teacher(s)?
Sister Anne, my typing teacher. We remained friends from high school until she died
about 12 years ago. Our daughter was named after her (Jerilyn Anne).
17. Where did you sit during lunch?
I don't remember. Probably in the cafeteria.
18. What was your school's full name?
St. Vincent High School. After the big Cathedral on Van Ness Avenue burned
down, they tore down our school, built the new cathedral monstrosity that has often been
described as the agitator of a washing machine and built a new school to replace St.
Vincent's. It merged with Sacred Heart (the boys' school two blocks away) and is now
called "Cathedral High School." Oddly enough Ashley is a graduate of
Cathedral High School, and her sisters go there now.
19. When did you graduate? 1960
20. What was your school mascot? I don't think we had one.
21. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
Probably. I loved high school--but I wouldn't want to have to go through all the
"growing up" years from age 18 to 65 again..
22. Did you have fun at Prom? Jr/Sr Banquet
I had fun at my junior prom, but my boyfriend entered the seminary between my junior
and senior years and I went to the senior prom (they called it the senior ball)
with a neighbor and hated it. (I don't recall any Junior or Senior Banquet)
23. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with?
No, but we exchange Christmas cards. (I don't remember ever seeing my Senior
Ball date after the dance was over!)
24. Are you planning on going to your next reunion?
The next will be the 50th, next year. We had the worst spirited class in the school
history and I don't know that anybody would even come.
25. Do you still talk to people from school?
Talk, no. But I exchange cards (and occasional e-mails) with three other
people--there were only 60 in my graduating class.
26. School Colors?
Blue and White
27. What celebrities came from your high school?
To my knowledge, none.
28. Did you play a sport?
Nope. I was in every other activity possible, not not sports.
29. What was your favorite club?
Yearbook (I was the editor for 3 yrs--the sophomore editor, the junior editor and the
Editor in Chief my senior year)
30. What class or teacher did you fear?
I was afraid of Sister Zoe (Senior homeroom) until she came to my defense in a very
special way. Then I realized she was all bluster, but a real softie. There were
teachers that I didn't like very much and I hated all of my math and science classes, but
Sister Zoe was the only teacher I came close to actually being afraid of.
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Sophomore, Junior and Senior yearbook entries
with our moderator, Sister Mary William
(I was the sophomore editor)