newlogoJune06.jpg (31063 bytes)

This Day in My History

2000:  Mid-Night Musings
2001:  Sunshine!!
2002:  Stereotypes
2003:  Doing My Bit for the Australian Economy
2004Lost and The Big Apple

2005:  It's in the Stars

"West Side Story"

Books Read in 2006
(Updated 9/19)

"Day of the Big Wind"

Windy Day

click here to download

click here for flash

Mefeedia Video Archive

My Favorite Video Blogs

Desert Nut

(for others, see Links page)

xml_button.gif (429 bytes)

Look at these videos!

Jesus Camp (this is chilling!)
Superbman trailer
Beer Cannon
"Best card trick in the world"
Johnny Carson & Don Rickles
Gays in the Military
Card House
Nairobi Trio
Ocean Symphony

New on My flickr_logo.gif (801 bytes)
Lordy, Lordy

Constitution.jpg (14147 bytes)

Support liberty and justice for all

bombbutton.jpg (19319 bytes)

Cost of the War in Iraq

(JavaScript Error)



24 September 2006

I awoke to a huge crash and the sound of glass hitting porcelain.   It was about 4 a.m.  I don't know exactly what time it was because the power had gone off, briefly, and all the digital clocks in the room were flashing.   I groped for my cell phone to find out the time.

Then I looked for my Birkenstocks, because, trust me, in the middle of the night you don't want to go walking around here in bare feet because you never know what sort of surprise Kimba has left for you.

The wind outside was howling and when I checked the sink, the kitchen window was open and a wind gust had knocked over a vase I have with marbles in it, which holds the turkey baster I use to help transfer water from the 5 gallon jug into the water cooler.  The crash actually sounded worse than it was.  Nothing had broken but the marbles had fallen into the sink and made a lot of racket.

It had also knocked over a bottle of baby shampoo that I use to give Kimba a bath.  Shampoo was dripping off of the sides of the sink and flecks of dirt which had also blown in and which now covered the counters were also imbedded in the shampoo.

The local news on TV was reporting a wildfire line out in the country about 20 miles from here.  It was a wall of fire 10 miles long and was being whipped up by the wind, which is expected to increase, not decrease, as the day progresses.

I got all the clocks re-set and the shampoo cleaned up and then sat down to listen to the howling wind.  It would have been kind of exciting, if I wasn't also watching television and seeing what the wind was doing to the fire.

When we first moved to Davis, there was one thing you could count on:   September would bring the big winds.  I never was waiting for it and it took a day or two of big winds before I would stop and think "Oh yeah -- it's September." 

It's like September in San Francisco was the only month I could count on to have hot weather.  Tourists coming to SF don't realize that it can be hot in January and cold in August, or vice versa.  But if there is going to be hot weather, you could almost count on it being in September.

I don't know when that all changed.  I don't know if it's still hot in San Francisco in September, but one day I realized that it was September in Davis and it had been several years since we'd had a good, proper "big wind."  I figured it was either something to do with the hole in the ozone layer, global warming, or El Niņo or something.

But the wind is back.  With a vengeance.  As I sit here writing, it is howling around me, there are tree limbs down all over town, and it looks like we're having a nice, typical September.

So much better than 100+ degree temperatures!



I donated blood this morning, as I do usually every 6 weeks (though I'd forgotten my appointment twice this time around). I really enjoy donating blood.  Blood Source is a small office with a small staff who greets you by name when you walk in the door.  It's a one-to-one thing during the donation period and you spend a lot of time chatting, usually about the life of whoever is taking your blood.

When it's all over, you retire to the snack area to have donuts or crackers or something.  I usually get all sorts of errands run, as long as I'm out, after donating blood, but for some reason it really knocked me out today and I had to come home and take a nap.  VERY unusual for me!

But there is kind of a Murphy's law about my naps.  The telephone is connected to my eyelids.  I can go a whole week and the phone will never ring once.  But let me decide to take a nap and it rings.

I was asleep all of...oh...10 minutes or so and the phone rang.   And by the time I answered it, there was no answer.  Of course.

But I just couldn't get over this feeling of incredible lethargy, so at 1 or so, I went back to sleep and woke up at quarter to 4.  I don't know if it was donating blood that did me in, or the big crash that woke me up and the wind that kept me awake the rest of the night.

Probably a combination of both.

NOTE:  "Sign My Guestbook" hasn't been working for several weeks, so I set up a new guestbook through Yahoo.


bo_diddley_2004.jpg (80394 bytes)

Walt went off to a BoDiddley concert last night.
I stayed home!


Sign Guestbook   ChickenAni.gif (16207 bytes)     View Guestbook


<--previous | next -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awardsFlickr | Bev's Home Page




Search WWW Search Funny the World

This is Journal entry #2369