newlogoMar06.jpg (38563 bytes)

This Day in My History

No Entry

  Farewell, Sweet Polly
  Only God Can Make a Tree

 War:   Good for Me?
2004:  Old Friends

2005:  To Be...Or Not to Be

Check out our Frappr!


"The Princess"

TVAway.gif (26470 bytes)

Review my videoblog at Mefeedia

My Favorite Video Blogs

The Ointment
29 Fragile Days
Bicycle Sidewalk
Carl Weaver's Video
Drive Time

Josh Leo's Video
Kitchen Arts
Living with the Fallas
Minnesota Stories
PJK Productions
Randy Wicker Reporting
Walk Los Angeles
White Guy Eats Foreign Foods

New on My flickr_logo.gif (801 bytes)
Concetta turns 65

Constitution.jpg (14147 bytes)
Support liberty and justice for all

pro-america.jpg (12249 bytes)

My "Things I Want" Wish List

(with the hope that everyone in my family will think about making a similar list before their birthdays and/or Christmas roll around!)



22 March 2006

"You don't get good sleep," said Lynn, ever the medical professional.

My Tylenol-PM hadn't worked so she decided to Take Over and told me to take 3 ibuprofen and 0.25 mg of her Klonopin. I was a bit leery about the Klonopin, an anti-anxiety medication, but ultimately the search for a night of sleep made me agree.

I took all my pills at 10 p.m. and went to sleep. I woke up first at 11:30. From there on out, it was the same as every other night, with the possible exception of the stabbing pains being somewhat duller, but still there. So it was up and down all night again. I long to be home tonight and back in my recliner.

Lynn went off to her meeting yesterday morning, I had the car brought around and I went to Marin County, to meet up with my mother and my cousin Peach. Our plan was to go to the Jack Mason Museum in Inverness, where Peach had made plans to meet a woman who was interested in my cousin's research on our great-grandfather, who, prior to becoming editor of the Santa Rosa newspaper, had been a teacher in Olema, the small town near Inverness.

Our great grandfather, Josiah Kirkpatrick, was a widower who lived with his daughter, our grandmother, in a home which is now the Bear Valley Inn, a B&B. Peach was hoping to pin down where his school was, and if it still exists. I had come along as the photographer.

The "museum" is in a garage-like building in back of the small Inverness library and consists of one very cold room with a couple of tables in it, and books which contain old newspapers, historical newsletters, and the writings of Jack Mason, who researched the history of the area.

Unfortunately, the woman who was to meet us had forgotten she had a meeting and the woman who was working didn't really know much, but she gave us some materials to look through.

We didn't find much. Peach ran across a lot of names familiar from reading our great grandfather's writings, but nothing definitive about where exactly the school had been. But she had me take some photos of pictures in Jack Mason's books and will use them in the family history book she is preparing.

We had fish and chips for lunch in Olema and then went back to San Rafael. I stuck around for a cup of coffee and then headed back to the City, getting here shortly after Lynn's sessions ended for the day.

Lynn and I did some shopping at the Embarcadero Center. She was looking for a coat, I was watching her shop (there being no fat lady store in sight). Afterwards we took some photos of the beautiful tulips planted in boxes in the courtyard of Embarcadereo Center 4.

We had decided to go "ethnic" for dinner, the choice being Chinatown or North Beach (for Italian). I suggested that if we went to Chinatown, we could pick up the cable car right outside the hotel and ride up to Grant Ave. I had no idea how much it cost to ride the cable car--it was only a few blocks, but I thought it would be fun to splurge.

We got on the cable car and discovered that it would cost $5 each to ride the five blocks up the hill. "What the hell," we decided.

We had gone one block when Lynn spied the sign.

"Tadich!" Lynn exclaimed, remembering that when she lived here she had been there and loved it. Tadich grill is an old San Francisco institution, opened in 1849. I'd never been there. We decided that it sounded better than Chinese food, so we hopped off the cable car. We had ridden exactly 1-1/2 blocks and had paid $10.

Tadich proved to be an excellent idea. Lynn is so gregarious. She talks to everyone and it always makes it so much more fun. We bonded with Douglas, the bartender, while we were waiting for a table.

When we finally got our table, we each ordered the pan-fried calamari, which was fabulous.

Then back to the hotel, where Lynn made the final preparations for leaving tomorrow, while I watched.

It's been a great week, but it's back to normal tomorrow. "Normal" has its ups and downs, but one of the "ups" is going to be a good night's sleep tonight!




powered by


<--previous | next -->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awardsFlickr | Bev's Home Page




Search WWW Search Funny the World