funnytheworld2.gif (4077 bytes)





17 December 2002

I hated the people renting cars. I stood there watching them board the bus that would take them to the car rental area, and I looked daggers at them.

I also hated the people who had parked in "daily parking,",  and who climbed up on the cheery orange bus and headed off to "daily (read: more expensive) parking."

I even hated the people taking the city bus, that bus which will take you from the doors of the Sacramento Airport to a block from home for only $1, as I watched them hop up the stairs and take off in the direction where I dearly wanted to head.

Most of all, I hated the driver of the "Economy parking" bus who seemed to have gone to San Francisco for a coffee break.

We were a rag-tag group of travelers, at the end of our flights--from wherever, all huddled together in a soggy group with the temps in the low 40s and the wind whipping through us, making the wind chill factor drop the temps even further. I hunched over, wrapping my coat closer about me, sorry that I'd decided to pack the sweatshirt in the suitcase and only wear the lightweight t-shirt. I was beginning to think I'd never be warm again.

Several weeks ago, my primary care physician prescribed some lisinopril for me, to help reduce my blood pressure. It worked amazingly well within 2 days. "It might leave you with a dry, hacking cough," he told me, advising me that if this happened, I should just quit it.

Well, "dry hacking coughs" and I are old friends--I have low grade (not-necessary-to-treat) allergies, and I frequently cough a bit. After starting the lisinopril, it seemed I would have about an hour a day of coughing, but I couldn't tell if it was the medication or my normal cough. I mentioned it to the Pharmicological Doctor I saw a week ago, and he didn't seem to think that it was serious enough to stop the medication, especially since it was working so beautifully.

So when I flew off to LA, it was with the occasional dry hacking cough that I'd been having for as long as I could remember.

Problem was that the cough seemed to get worse by day 2 and I finally told Michael I was going to go off the medications for a few days so I could see if this was a medication-induced cough, or an allergy cough. 

It didn't necessarily help it, it changed it. Instead of a dry hacking cough, by yesterday morning I could feel the start of a deep chest cough, the kind that comes from your toes and rips your lungs out on the way to exploding out your mouth. Such fun when you're in a theatre trying to keep quiet so as not to disturb the actors on stage (though after about 20 minutes into Judy's Scary Christmas, I was angry enough at having been duped into thinking this was going to be a good show that I didn't really care if I disturbed them at all!).

I went to the Zephyr theatre that night with Steve and Jimmy and while I sat through sound check and warm ups and the photos I was taking, and then waited for The Big Voice to start, I was aware that my nose had started dripping pretty much uncontrollably. And I sneezed a couple of times.

Holy shit--this was turning into a full blown cold. Had I arrived with a cold? Had the normal cough covered up other symptoms? Or did it develop while I was there? And what in the hell was I doing hanging around two guys with AIDS when I had a cold??? In addition to what was now becoming a really miserable state of health, I was now also wracked with guilt for having brought disease onto the scene as well.

By the time I got back to Michael's, I could barely breathe, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep, but I propped myself up and literally passed out for the night, awaking at 5:30, in time to get packed and out to the sidewalk by 6:30 when Steve picked me up.

I huddled in the airport waiting room, sucking on a bottle of water (no food--I couldn't taste anything anyway). Fortunately the flight wasn't full, so I didn't have to sit next to someone. By the time we landed, I felt like the walking dead--and then had to stand out in the cold wind for 20 minutes waiting for the damn bus.

When I finally got to the car, I cranked the heat up as high as it would go and shivered all the way home. I just wanted to get in a hot shower and breathe some hot steam and open some clogged passages, but there was a message from Dr. G asking me to come in early so we could go over some work before the patients started arriving.

Even he could see I looked like hell when I got to work. He brought me some TheraFlu and some cold capsules which got me through the afternoon, though I felt kind of like a zombie. Now the effects of the medications have worn off and I'm starting to feel flu-ish again. I'm going to go to sleep early and hope that tomorrow will be a better day.


Quote of the Day

Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.

~ Voltaire

Photo of the Day

jimsteve.JPG (41115 bytes)

Awww...aren't they cute?





One Year Ago
The Free Ride's Over
My first guru answered questions for me during that time and when I wrote to him in great excitement about something I'd discovered, he responded "Enjoy it, because it a year it's going to explode and you'll look back and remember that you were part of the Golden Age of the Internet."

Two Years Ago
The Dreaded Christmas Letter
I never did understand the reason for the yearly brouhaha about Christmas letters. I haven’t seen anything yet, but you can bet your bippy that either Dear Abby or Ann Landers or someone has already run a “how I hate those terrible Christmas letters” letter.

signmyblack.gif (1825 bytes)
Powered by


 ;scale.gif (2974 bytes)
Pounds Lost:  82
(this figure is updated on Tuesdays)

On the Odometer

URL 711.1 + 36
Blue Angel 458.8

Recipe Journal

<--previous | next-->

Journal home | bio | cast | archive | links | awards | Bev's Home Page | Today's Foto

265 cu89c6

Created 12/10/02