FUNNYTHE.gif (2576 bytes)

Survivor Journals

Bob of If I Die Before I Wake has invited nine journallers to participate in a Cyber Survivor Adventure.

Every couple of weeks, the group will be issued a "challenge entry". The site will post a excerpt from the challenge entries, as well as the link to the complete entry found on the journaller's own journal site.

After the challenge entry is posted, the nine journallers will vote one of the writers off the site.

The "ousted" journaller will actually remain on the site, but rather than posting further challenge entries, they will act as a judge and commentator.

The first challenge entry has been issued, and can be found at the Survivor Journal website. The actual entries should be completed by
October 1, 2000.

Please take the time to visit, especially once the challenge entries are posted. There is a message board to post your thoughts/comments and also a instant poll where visitors can vote for who they would want to see kicked off the site.

The reasons behind Survivor Journals are simple.

1. To try something new.
2. Increase the interaction of the journal community.
3. The challenge.
4. Increased exposure to all journals involved.

So take a look around, explore all the journals involved.

If you would like to take part in Survivor Journals, Year Two (around Nov/Dec 2000), let Bob know!


November 17, 2000

As the John Denver song goes, some days are diamonds, some days are stone .

I’d have to put yesterday in the “diamond” category. A lovely day. I left here early and drove to my mother’s to have a quick cup of coffee and a visit. She had a lunch date, so we only had an hour, but it was very pleasant. It’s wonderful when your mother is not only your mother, but your friend too.

After our visit, I drove to Sausalito, a little town just over the Golden Gate bridge from San Francisco. I’m not sure if it’s still primarily known as an artist colony, but it was when I was growing up. (I suspect the price of homes there now make it more a playground for the rich, rather than a refuge for struggling artists!) For a time, the mayor of Sausalito was former San Francisco Madam, Sally Stanford. Peggy and I were there in September and had a good time walking through the shops and having lunch. It had been cold that day. Sunny, but with a biting wind that prevented us from going into the more exposed parts of the town where there are some spectacular views of San Francisco. Yesterday was clear and sunny, but without a hint of wind, so I walked around without a coat on. I parked the car at one end of town and did my “walk” to the other end of town.

I was actually there to pick up a couple of things Peggy’s asked me to get for her, so I did my share of “shopping,” which was also fun. And then I got a sandwich from a deli, found myself a lovely spot on a deck overlooking the City and ate lunch, while the pigeons cooed around my feet hoping for me to leave them some crumbs. Next I drove through an old Army base just outside Sausalito, which has some of the most breathtaking views of San Francisco on a clear day. One of my favorite spots is down under the Golden Gate Bridge

It used to be that you could drive up the road, under the bridge, and to the other side, curving around to get onto the bridge itself. I’m not sure when they closed off that road, but I was surprised to find it closed and I had to double back from whence I came to drive over the bridge. From there it was down to the San Francisco airport. My “Brasilian brother,” Nelson was arriving from New York. We had a bit of confusion in that I thought his plane hadn’t landed and was waiting upstairs for it to arrive, when he had actually come in early and was waiting downstairs for me at the baggage claim. But we did eventually meet each other and it was so good to see him.

Nelson was the leader of the very first group of Brasilians that I ever coordinated, back in about 1982. And as the leader, he stayed in our house for three weeks. We were quite compatible and forged a strong friendship. A year or two later, he returned with another group and stayed with us again and we have remained close through letters, telephone calls, and occasional visits in the intervening years. Ned spent time with him when he was living in Brasil (and Nelson introduced him to his first girlfriend, Maristella). Tom also spent some time with him when he was in Brasil for one summer.

Eight years ago he brought his wife and 3 year old daughter to meet us. And in 1996, we spent two weeks in Hawaii with Nelson, his wife, and two friends of theirs. Nelson had been responsible, in the 1980s for making me speak Portuguese, and my rusty, always halting Portuguese, got a good workout during that 2 week period of time. We managed to hit the start of rush hour traffic in San Francisco and so the ride home was a little slower than usual, but it gave us a good opportunity to get caught up on all the news of both countries.

He will be here for a few days and then I will take him to the home of our mutual friend (and my Brasilian daughter), Sonia. I’m looking forward to spending time with him. It was fun to see him back at our dinner table last night. 

Nelson and Walt both went to bed early. Walt had been at the San Francisco opera the previous night and hadn’t gotten to bed until 1 a.m., so was very sleepy. Nelson was on New York time, so also sleepy. I logged onto the computer and managed to catch Peggy at her computer, and we had a lovely visit before I decided it was time for me to get some sleep as well. Yes. Yesterday was definitely a diamond.


<- previous | Journal home | bio | cast | archive | Bev's Home Page | next ->

created 11/5/00 by Bev Sykes